Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Gear box m & s light isues (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/gear-box-m-s-light-isues-79456/)

oppositelok 05-26-2016 09:40 AM

Gear box m & s light isues

Firstly hello to you all as this is my first post on this site.

I am having issues with my gear box. I have a 2001 disco 2 and recently the gear box m & s light keep coming on and the box goes into limp mode.

So far I have changed to atf oil twice.
Changed the gear box filter and seals
Replaced the battery with a new red top optima
Changed the XYZ switch
Had the XYZ switch adjusted and checked on a diagnostic machine

Nothing has made any difference

However the gear box still keeps playing up. It only ever causes trouble when it's cold / first started and put into reverse; then it goes straight into limp mode.
The other issues and the most annoying one is some times it will not start due to the inhibitor switch I assume. Eventually if I keep trying it will start but then I will not be able to put it in revers until warm.

Any ideas to solve this would be great fully received. It has been surgested that I need to change the box wiring loom. However I wonder if it could be a voltage issues. If so any why I can check for sure before looking at changing the loom.

Many many thanks in advance.

Charlie_V 05-26-2016 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by oppositelok (Post 568583)
Firstly hello to you all as this is my first post on this site.

I am having issues with my gear box. I have a 2001 disco 2 and recently the gear box m & s light keep coming on and the box goes into limp mode.

So far I have changed to atf oil twice.
Changed the gear box filter and seals
Replaced the battery with a new red top optima
Changed the XYZ switch
Had the XYZ switch adjusted and checked on a diagnostic machine

Nothing has made any difference

However the gear box still keeps playing up. It only ever causes trouble when it's cold / first started and put into reverse; then it goes straight into limp mode.
The other issues and the most annoying one is some times it will not start due to the inhibitor switch I assume. Eventually if I keep trying it will start but then I will not be able to put it in revers until warm.

Any ideas to solve this would be great fully received. It has been surgested that I need to change the box wiring loom. However I wonder if it could be a voltage issues. If so any why I can check for sure before looking at changing the loom.

Many many thanks in advance.

Form personal experience I suggest you first swap your battery with a known good one from another vehicle. See if it does the same thing at startup. I know you have a new battery but I'm not clear whether the problem went away when you put it in, or if it did okay for a time, or if it made no difference. If it didn't make any difference, disregard swapping the battery. I had similar trouble and it was a bad battery, but you might have a different situation.

And when you say it won't start are you referring to the engine or motion of the truck?

oppositelok 05-26-2016 10:00 AM

Changing the battery made no difference. So far nothing has.

And by not starting I mean the engine, it just clicks as the inhibitor won't let it start. I have had it checked after and it shows a mis read on the xyz switch. But the switch is new and properly calibrated. It read correct in all gears even if wiggled in gear.

NickAdams 05-26-2016 10:31 AM

Double check the wiring diagram in Rave, but I'm pretty sure the transmission is wired to both the ECU and the BCU. Even with a new XYZ switch, if the connections at ECU are corroded, it will get bad data.
Before my scangauge quit talking to the ECU altogether, it would only work after I got the passenger footwell (location of ECU) warmed up.

drowssap 05-26-2016 10:33 AM

What is your voltage at idle?

Originally Posted by oppositelok (Post 568587)
Changing the battery made no difference. So far nothing has.

And by not starting I mean the engine, it just clicks as the inhibitor won't let it start. I have had it checked after and it shows a mis read on the xyz switch. But the switch is new and properly calibrated. It read correct in all gears even if wiggled in gear.

oppositelok 05-26-2016 11:09 AM

I Will check idle voltage tomorrow.

Does the gear box talk to the slabs and the under bonnet ecu then?

mln01 05-26-2016 11:53 AM

It's true that low voltage can trigger the flashing M&S lights but there are over a dozen transmission faults that can also cause the M&S lights to flash. I suggest that you get the transmission codes read so that you can accurately diagnose the problem.

oppositelok 05-26-2016 12:47 PM

Ive had the codes read 3 times now. It only ever show gear box switch miss read

NickAdams 05-26-2016 01:32 PM

You might want to read my thread about scangauge not communicating with the ECU. I cleaned all my ECU connections with plastic-safe CRC contact cleaner (a whole can) and a nylon parts cleaning brush.

Charlie_V 05-26-2016 03:50 PM

This shows the wiring layout.