Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get another Rover or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get another Rover or no?

Recently I bought a 2000 Land Rover Disco I, but being the inexperienced driver that I am I forgot about checking my oil. Now my engine is knocking and my Rover is down. Because I have limited funds and I have school approaching, I have to make the decision of trading in my Rover or buying a similar Rover then swapping parts to make due. This week I came across a 2000 Disco 2 that needs to have the torque converter replaced. The vehicle is being sold at $1000 but I don't know if this would be a good buy or should I just give up on my baby and get another. PLEASE HELP!!! I'm not very familiar with Land Rover nor are many mechanics in me area; so if I were to buy another Rover, what should I look for to insure ImI not wasting my money. Thanks guys

Old 06-09-2018, 02:58 PM
4wd Low

This isn't very good advice, but I've seen people post about running around for years with a knocking engine - and no ill effects (so they say). Maybe don't write it off just yet, since you're on a budget?

Old 06-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Matters what area knocking is in? Top end is less likely to blow your engine, bottom end is usually more serious. Both have easy and difficult fixes.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by LingLing
Recently I bought a 2000 Land Rover Disco I, but being the inexperienced driver that I am I forgot about checking my oil. Now my engine is knocking and my Rover is down. Because I have limited funds and I have school approaching, I have to make the decision of trading in my Rover or buying a similar Rover then swapping parts to make due. This week I came across a 2000 Disco 2 that needs to have the torque converter replaced. The vehicle is being sold at $1000 but I don't know if this would be a good buy or should I just give up on my baby and get another. PLEASE HELP!!! I'm not very familiar with Land Rover nor are many mechanics in me area; so if I were to buy another Rover, what should I look for to insure ImI not wasting my money. Thanks guys
It really depends on how bad the knock is, if it's damaged the crank you are stuffed but if only the shell bearings then drop the engine sump and replace the shells with good/top quality shells. It will also depend on what other damage has been done and how long you were running around with no oil.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thoth0Amon
This isn't very good advice, but I've seen people post about running around for years with a knocking engine - and no ill effects (so they say). Maybe don't write it off just yet, since you're on a budget?
The knocking you're referring to is from a slipped liner. If his knocking is from running low on oil, it's a bottom end knock and probably won't last very long.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Where are you located? If west or South, I would say look for another one, North is harder because yours is probably rusty and replacements likely would be also. Might want to look for something more rust resistant if your Northern.

Last edited by Extinct; 06-09-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by User
Matters what area knocking is in? Top end is less likely to blow your engine, bottom end is usually more serious. Both have easy and difficult fixes.
It's the bottom end knocking :/

Old 06-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure it's worst case scenario and not a sticking lifter/tappet? Years ago after I changed oil type on my Disco I had a sticking lifter and it was quite noisy.

Sometimes you can get away with noise.. sometimes you can't. When I was 24 I drove an old Oldsmobile Omega which I purchased from a little old lady. Like you, I didn't check my oil and had the worst ticking noise out in the boondocks where my parents were building a house. No one was around, I pulled over to the side of the road, kicked the front tire (literally), and started to cry. I felt so stranded.. this was before cell phones and I was sick. I didn't know what was wrong with me, my car sounded like crap, and I was miserable. My mom drove up and saw me crying on the side of the road and then my dad and sister drove up in separate vehicles. We were meeting at their home site to see the progress of the build that day. Anyway, my dad recognized the noise right away, and started screaming at me in the road that I left my oil too long and it was bone dry. So there I was, being yelled at, feeling miserable and my sister offered to take me to the gas station to get a quart (or more ) of oil. My car ticked for a little while and then started to run like normal and lasted me quite a few more years.

My sickness? The doctor the next day said that I had a viral infection that couldn't be transmitted to anyone else. I celebrated my dad's 50th birthday the next night at a nice restaurant in town and probably infected half the town with chicken pox. My sister came down with it 2 weeks later. Moral of the story?... don't give up on your Rover and don't always trust a substitute doctor

Old 06-10-2018, 09:57 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

It would be helpful to know what oil you are using now that you know you need to keep up on it. Many stories on here about folks eliminating the knock by using thicker oil like Rotella 15w40 non synthetic.

My advice is that you should not buy another Rover at this time. Rovers are not a good vehicle for a money strapped non mechanically oriented student.

Last edited by Dave03S; 06-10-2018 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Rovers are not a good vehicle for a money strapped non mechanically oriented student.
Or anyone else...lol.

Quick Reply: Get another Rover or no?