Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Look at this '03' tomorrow AM...last minute advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Look at this '03' tomorrow AM...last minute advice?

I am going to look at this Red 03' Disco tomorrow morning and was hoping to get some last minute pointers from you guys. The info I have is...
1 owner, 80k miles, service records, 3rd party drive train warranty to 100k in effect as long as service is maintained (will ask more about this obviously), 75% left on tires...recent oil change...asking 7950$...what should i offer if all seems well?

What other questions should I be asking?..checklist maybe that will help me feel a little more prepared....I am mechanically inept to say the least...

People mention checking the oil for foul smell...is that null/ and void since the oil was just changed?...should that concern me? ...could it have been changed to cover that up?...Ill get the VIN # and check to see if it falls within the Oil pump issue range?...and if it does...stay away completely?or is it past the danger period? Any last minute advice is greatly appreciated guys. I couldn't get a mechanic to come along..

Attached Thumbnails Going to Look at  this '03' tomorrow AM...last minute advice?-3012009-017.jpg  
Old 03-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

test all of the electronics at least twice. Run through everything. Price seems a little high, but for sure check the VIN and the warranty. Some have had good luck, and at 80K, it has lasted a while, but if it falls in the range, buy it planning on replacing the engine. That way you won't be suprised.

At that price, you should be able to find an 04 for a little more. I would hold out, if it was me

Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought my 03 S model back in Aug 2008 for about that same price, but with 56k miles. At the time..and my location in Fl, this was the best deal and EXACTLY what i wanted. (No ACE, Sunroofs, SLS, etc...) Mine is out of the oil pump vin range but as a precaution, i am installing a oil pressure gauge to monitor "real time".

I would ask them for a hose and check if the sunroofs leak.
I would check everything like okdiscoguy mentioned. If you can wait and maybe save a little more, get an 04. Those have the upgraded roof rack and locking transfer case.

If it does fall within oil pump range and it is EXACTLY what you want, I would offer $7k or less out the door. TO include any fees etc...

Mention the drive shaft that needs rebuild.

Don't show any interest in it at all. once they know you want badly, they won't negotiate too much because you've displayed the interest.

Like okdiscoguy said, I would hold out. Get an 04.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What are you planning on using it for, who is the warranty thru and how much are they asking?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i bought that same truck, (only a S model without sunroofs or real leather) for over $9k not to long ago. Mine is also covered to 100,000 (im at 98 now.) $7,950 is a very good deal, but of coarse try to get them down more. it looks like a great truck.

There is a oil pump recall for the 03's which, if the oil pump fails ruins your motor. HOWEVER if this is going to occur it usually occurs from 50k-70k, rarely over 80,000. (so your covered with that warranty). The maintenance is most likely scheduled oil changes and tune ups by the dealer, no big deal. I would buy it for sure.

At that price, even if somthing happens to it, you can afford to do it. A comparable F-150 is $5k more.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for response/advice...

I'm simply looking for use around town...some beach use during the summer with kayaks...no off-offroading....northeast winters as well...
he is asking $7850....is an 04 really worth the extra money?...im not seeing any 04's with respectable mileage for less than 10k...my max is probably 9k...I thought this price was fairly reasonable especially if i could talk him down to 7k?...but i trust your guys word on it if you think its too high...
i will learn more about the warranty tomorrow...he told me on the phone it is a drive train warranty that is from a 3rd party(not LR) that is in effect as long as I maintain service..he said its universal/and transferrable...not sure what that means...that's all i can say at this point...thoughts?

**mention the drive shaft that needs rebuild?..i dont even know what a drive shaft looks like....can you elaborate?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The drive shaft is the thing that spins the wheels from the transmission. It has most likely already rebuilt, and if not its a cheap $300 job (at an indie mechanic). I'm guessing at the millage it is proven, and dose not have the oil pump defect. (if for some reason it dose it would be before the warranty expires probably and would be covered). I personally don't think the 2004 is worth the extra money unless your doing serious off roading.

the vin range is - 3A771801 – 3A808362 - make sure to tell the seller your concerned about this, (it can be used to drop the price down).

I'm right in the middle of the range, and have never had a problem.

You might want to get into off roading, its where in shines! I never thought i would take mine off road, but its one of my favorite things now!

Last edited by snowdude; 03-11-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Mudding

I want to move where you guys are. Everone is commenting on how $9000 seems high for an '03 Disco and some are finding them for $7,500 and $7,800!!!????? I searched for two years and finally found a STEAL here in SW Ohio and got my '03 SE7 two years ago for $13,900! The AVERAGE price on any Disco 2002-2004 anywhere within 150 miles of here today is around $11,000 so $7,950 for an '03 sounds pretty darn good to me!

Aaron
2003 SE7 90,000 miles

Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Three Wheeling

I agree. Im not seeing those low prices here in the NE. That is why I initially thought 7,900 was adecent deal.
Anyway just got back from looking at the vehicle(s). Unfortunately its Vin SALTY16413A791605 is in the troublesome range, correct? Cosmetically it is in very good shape, slight stain on passenger seat but that seemed like it. Electronics seemed to work fine(windows,sunroofs,lights, what else should i check?), tires were in good condition, engine sounded good, and it drove well. The warranty is through a 3rd party, AutoSave, which I am going to look into. On paper it is 100k or 5yr Motor/Powertrain warranty. Anyone hear of this? He said it is crucial to keep records and scheduled services to maintain waranty. I will do some research. It is a 1 owner. Service records werent with the car, which i didnt like, but he is going to fax me acopy of the title so that I may contact the previous owner to try and obtain them. Can I get them from the LR dealership where it was serviced? He said from what he understood it had been serviced at the LR dealership in Boston. Let me know what you think, the Vin # is certainly a deterrent, but if the warranty is legit, than should that still be a factor?...I will keep you posted on what I learn. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealer should be able to print off the records for you. It would be sweet if it had a new engine in it...

Quick Reply: Going to Look at this '03' tomorrow AM...last minute advice?