Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a good day

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default a good day

So the alarm went off at 5am this morning and I awake to my Camel Trophy DVD in the portable DVD player on my night stand.
It was cold so I started my truck and then made my lunch.
Went in to donate plasma and took the new Rovers North News with me, read some great stories, one about a guy who bought his Series II brand new 39 years ago it has 250,000 miles on it and he still drives it every day.

Had one of the girls ask me about the "Jeeps" in the catalog, so I had to explain to her about Rovers without being rude.

When I was done I walked out to the parking lot and with the sun coming up there is my white Disco, with a brand new F-150 parked on one side and a older Oldsmobile Alero on the other.
The Disco looks good, you cant tell how old it is, the Ford you know is brand new, even without seeing the temporary plate in the rear window.
Its shiny and new but you know it wont last, the Disco is timeless.
The Oldsmobile is battered and old, probably early 2000's but she looks much older than that.
The Disco is timeless.
I hit the unlock button on the remote, tap the key and she roars to life, and on the radio whats playing?
A Range Rover commercial.

Wound up being 70 today, had to turn the A/C on in the truck for the ride home.
God I love my truck.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a good day. I was just happy to drive my Rover again after a few days of being parked while I put off a fix that only took about an hour. Or would have taken an hour if I wasn't screwing around with other stuff under the truck at the same time. Every time I crawl under the truck I discover something new.

Is it just me or do you find it difficult not to laugh at people who refer to Rovers as Jeeps or Cruisers?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AK Rover

Is it just me or do you find it difficult not to laugh at people who refer to Rovers as Jeeps or Cruisers?
Well in her defense I was looking at the Defender parts/acc page and to a laymen they do look like Jeeps, two door soft top and all.
I hate when I go to AutoZone and they always ask me "who makes Land Rover?"

Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
TReK

Ok, I thought you were looking at a Discovery. Defender I can understand. Of course I tell everyone that a Defender is what a Jeep aspires to be.

I went to Car Quest and asked for a light bulb. Wasn't sure exactly which bulb so I told them what my vehicle was and got "who makes Land Rover." I said you have got to be kidding me and left. Working at an auto parts store you should at least know something basic like that. BTW, I was having a bad day that day and wasn't in the mood to deal with ignorance.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

I hear ya, they should know alittle bit about who makes what.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same thing happen at Auto Zone. When the guy said "I need to know make first, who makes the Land Rover?" I smiled and said "good one" because I thought he was joking. He said nothing, and I starred at him, after a couple of seconds I said "oh you wern't joking??" And he just looked at me with this blank look. I said, "yeah... Let me just go look over here for a second" and I walked away slowly... out the door. You would think the guys at those places would have basic knowledge of cars, i mean, THEY applied there! Oh well, not every bulb can be the brightest.

And to add the the beauty of the Disco, I washed mine today (spring break, lots of free time) and it was pretty dirty from a back-road adventure, anyways, it will never cease to amaze me how great the rover looks dirty, and how amazing it looks clean. How many cars can do that???? Its like a Chameleon!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:33 PM
TReK

I worked at Car Quest in Alaska for a while as a second job. The manager there was female and she knew her stuff but she kept hiring these girls that knew absolutely nothing about cars. Drove me nuts when I'm trying to help a customer and have to do their job too.

I took advantage of the discounts I got and bought a bunch of stuff for my truck then quit.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you forgot the part where you end up at the strip club

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

( . ) ( . )

Old 04-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by discoxd