Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good plan to bypass throttle body heater?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Good plan to bypass throttle body heater?

I have had it with the leaking throttle body heater plate. I just cant take it anymore!

I have replaced the gasket three times. The last time with a newer, supposedly better plate. This time when went to take off the plate, one of the rear screws snapped and half the threads are stuck in the throttle body. Ive never had much luck drilling out broken bolts, especially little ones like that. I have come to the conclusion that it's just time to be done with the whole thing!

I'm planning to buy a couple of bolts and a couple of clamps to just plug the hoses. Will this work? Could I simply pull the hard plastic line from the short bit of hose near the expansion tank put a bolt into the hose and clamp it in with a hose clamp? Will this work with the short hose up near the top of the engine? I'm thinking of just cutting that hose down some & plugging it with a bolt.

This sound like a better plan that just using a u-shaped piece of tubing. I'd rather not have all the extra tubing and hose circulating coolant if I don't "need" it to. So, do I need to keep it circulating, or can I just cap off the two hoses at the source?

Anyone done this? Any chance you could give me a rough idea of the bolt sizes?

As always, thanks in advance!

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (09-21-2020)
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't plug the hose, there needs to be circulation thru them, just buy a small piece of copper tubing, bend it in the shape of a "C" and connect the 2 hoses together. I did this 6 or 7 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (10-03-2020)
Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Mudding

Thanks Mike.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do I need to flare the ends of the copper tube, or will clamps be enough to hold it?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Clamps will be enough, make sure to bleed the air from the system after the repair.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not do it in NJ. You have the kind of weather that can cause a throttle body to freeze up. The throttle body kit costs $24 why bother with mickey mouse stuff?

Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I would not do it in NJ. You have the kind of weather that can cause a throttle body to freeze up. The throttle body kit costs $24 why bother with mickey mouse stuff?
I know how much the throttle heater kit costs. I have replaced it several times & this time have a bolt broken off in the throttle body itself. I'm pretty sure if I try to drill it out, I'd end up needing a new throttle body along with yet another gasket kit. I'm just tired of dealing with the "weak link" in the cooling system.

I'm in southern NJ, and honestly the weather here is quite warm in the winter. I'm a Detroit area native, and the weather is nothing like the weather there. It rarely gets below freezing here. Most of the winter I am still able to go out in a long sleeve t-shirt and go fishing or golf.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j.dstasio
I know how much the throttle heater kit costs. I have replaced it several times & this time have a bolt broken off in the throttle body itself. I'm pretty sure if I try to drill it out, I'd end up needing a new throttle body along with yet another gasket kit. I'm just tired of dealing with the "weak link" in the cooling system.

I'm in southern NJ, and honestly the weather here is quite warm in the winter. I'm a Detroit area native, and the weather is nothing like the weather there. It rarely gets below freezing here. Most of the winter I am still able to go out in a long sleeve t-shirt and go fishing or golf.

Hey man my shop is in avalon exit 13 if u need a hand let me know be glad to help

Old 09-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am against this "mod"

Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I am against this "mod"
Why are you against it? In theory, isnt it better to have a colder intake temperture to better improve the efficency of the engine? I disagree with the cold winter necessity, I only know of a few engines that have a throttle body heater, every other vehicle without one does fine in the cold.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Winching

Well Spike this is a switch. Usually it is Mike playing the part of the purist (not an insult Mike, just sayin') but today ya'll switched parts I guess. Lol.

Quick Reply: Good plan to bypass throttle body heater?