Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good plan to bypass throttle body heater?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RCPro87
Why are you against it? In theory, isnt it better to have a colder intake temperture to better improve the efficency of the engine? I disagree with the cold winter necessity, I only know of a few engines that have a throttle body heater, every other vehicle without one does fine in the cold.
If you have ever experienced a frozen throttle you would know why, I have and it was not fun.
It was on a carburetor car, but none the less it was not fun.

There was a call on Car Talk several years ago from a guy with a Jetta who's throttle froze open on his way back from a ski trip in Northern Michigan.

There was another from a woman driving a Accord over the mountains in Colorado on her way to school and same thing, only the car stalled because the throttle iced over and the car suffocated.

It is there for a reason, you can do whatever you want, set your truck on fire and roll it into a lake for all I care, I am just giving my $0.02.

The original poster is having problems but he needs to figure out why his throttle body heaters are going bad.
I have my theories on that.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by discomedic4
Well Spike this is a switch. Usually it is Mike playing the part of the purist (not an insult Mike, just sayin') but today ya'll switched parts I guess. Lol.
I have always had this opinion on this.

It is the coolant causing this leak, Dex-Cool is corrosive, I do not care what anyone else says I have seen it with my own 2 eyes.
Why do DII's have so many coolant leaks and problems over DI's? Because they came with Dex-Cool from the factory.
http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool_pics.htm
I used to sell bulk coolant and I had to take a 4 hr class on coolant, Dex-Cool ain't cool yo.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...954#post153954

Old 09-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took your word on the coolant for gospel and switched mine to prestone back when i first got it just in case some fool put who knows what in it. I wasn't disagreeing. I don't know jack about t-bodies so I just thought it was a funny swap of roles that's all.

The following users liked this post:
tlrxj11 (04-30-2020)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by discomedic4
I took your word on the coolant for gospel and switched mine to prestone back when i first got it just in case some fool put who knows what in it. I wasn't disagreeing. I don't know jack about t-bodies so I just thought it was a funny swap of roles that's all.
What is funny is that Prestone is very similar to dexcool (different carbonic acids) but with added phosphates/silicates to make it compatible with green or a hybrid OAT. Whatever coolant just change every couple years to avoid issues.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:16 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi mike I’ve never done the bleed thing, is it as simple as undoing the bleed screw and putting coolant in the hole it flows out of the hole ?

Old 09-21-2020, 07:04 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelspin
Hi mike I’ve never done the bleed thing, is it as simple as undoing the bleed screw and putting coolant in the hole it flows out of the hole ?
your replying to a post that’s 10 years old

lots of information here already on how to bleed your coolant system. Search my friend

Wheelspin (10-03-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 849 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelspin
Just follow the procedure in the RAVE. If you don't have the RAVE workshop manual you can download it from the link in my signature below.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:52 AM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but if I have a TBH leak and were to perform the bypass, do I still need to remove the tbh gasket and replace/seal? What have those who have done the bypass done in their vehicles? Have you sealed the existing tubes? Capped them? filter them (assuming air makes its way into the intake)?

It seems to be a closed system from the pics I've seen, and it seems I could just leave the leaking tbh gasket in place if I did the bypass, but trying to arrange the ordering of parts and hoping for some guidance.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:04 AM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ManUtdWY
This may be a stupid question, but if I have a TBH leak and were to perform the bypass, do I still need to remove the tbh gasket and replace/seal? What have those who have done the bypass done in their vehicles? Have you sealed the existing tubes? Capped them? filter them (assuming air makes its way into the intake)?

It seems to be a closed system from the pics I've seen, and it seems I could just leave the leaking tbh gasket in place if I did the bypass, but trying to arrange the ordering of parts and hoping for some guidance.
You can leave the existing part as-is. There is no passage for an air leak, so no need to cap the inlet and outlet. Ran mine that way for the last four years.

ManUtdWY (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 11:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome, thanks!

Quick Reply: Good plan to bypass throttle body heater?