Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:21 PM
|
Mudding
Thumbs up Got Alternator?

Recently, my alternator quickly and noisily died. Aggravated, I searched around looking for a replacement alternator. I had two opposing goals. First, I wanted something better than the 120A OEM alternator. Second, I wanted something economically reasonable.

I'll be honest, I didn't think this was possible, but I gave it a shot anyway. I started my search in all the usual places; no luck. After a while I ended up on eBay looking at an alternator offered by seller eagleautoelectric. I was sceptical at first, but eventually my wallet won and I ordered a re-manufactured 150A Bosch alternator for ~$120.

Well... I was surprised! I didn't know exactly what to expect, but I was impressed. The alternator arrived looking brand new. What's more, when I called the seller at 7:30 pm EST, I got a live person and helpful tech support!

If you are in the market for a new alternator, I heartily recommend you look into this vendor. I have nothing to gain from this endorsement. I hope this vendor can help another LR owner!

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:47 PM
Team Owner

Sweet. Thank you for the heads up.

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:50 PM
Team Owner

They have a 160 amp for my truck...saving my pennies...

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:54 PM
Winching

save enough for me too.....dry cell battery and a warn power plant as well to go with it....

Old 01-25-2011 | 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to car electrics. So does the 150 amp alternator opposed to the factory 120 amp help out when using a winch, driving lamps, frig. Does it charge your battery more efficiently/faster? Make your dash light not dim when you turn on the windshield heater or SLS pump kicks on automatically. Hope you guys know much more than I do.

Last edited by bosshogt; 01-25-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2011 | 12:13 AM
Pro Wrench

In a properly operating system, the alternator is only going to put out as many amps as are needed, so if you have more draw on the system from added options, yes, a higher amp alternator is a good thing.

Old 01-26-2011 | 09:30 AM
Winching

Works good if you run 2 batteries also.

Old 01-26-2011 | 11:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Follow up on lifecycle

Originally Posted by Fireman
Recently, my alternator quickly and noisily died. Aggravated, I searched around looking for a replacement alternator. I had two opposing goals. First, I wanted something better than the 120A OEM alternator. Second, I wanted something economically reasonable.

I'll be honest, I didn't think this was possible, but I gave it a shot anyway. I started my search in all the usual places; no luck. After a while I ended up on eBay looking at an alternator offered by seller eagleautoelectric. I was sceptical at first, but eventually my wallet won and I ordered a re-manufactured 150A Bosch alternator for ~$120.

Well... I was surprised! I didn't know exactly what to expect, but I was impressed. The alternator arrived looking brand new. What's more, when I called the seller at 7:30 pm EST, I got a live person and helpful tech support!

If you are in the market for a new alternator, I heartily recommend you look into this vendor. I have nothing to gain from this endorsement. I hope this vendor can help another LR owner!
Very interesting. Would appreciate a follow up in a year or so to let us know how it worked out. I personally have not had good luck with re-manufactured parts, and I must say I have also not had good luck with Bosch parts.

Old 01-27-2011 | 07:03 PM
|
Mudding

I'll let you know... I have never had a problem with re-manufactured parts and this one came with 1 year warranty.

Old 01-27-2011 | 07:11 PM
Team Owner

I went through 4 re-man alternators in 2 years.
2 from AutoZone and 2 from Advanced Auto Parts, ended up with a used one and that has lasted longer than either of the "new" ones that I had.

Quick Reply: Got Alternator?