Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the dreaded oil light today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:43 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got the dreaded oil light today...

My 03 falls in the bad vin and I cranked it to leave my fiancees and the oil light stayed on for 5 or 6 seconds longer than the other lights. The light turned off before I could turn the car off but it definitely must be failing as my oil is about 10 days old (royal purp 10w40) and I used the upgraded 3001 filter. Checked the levels and they were fine. I was about to garage the discovery for a while anyway to put on the lift, sliders, bumpers, lights, ds, cdl, etc and I had already ordered the new pump so I'm EXTREMELY happy I caught this while it was just started up before the engine started knocking or before it locked up all together.

Engine was still running perfectly smooth with no noise when i turned it off and I won't turn it on again prior to adding the new pump.

My school's off-road club is going out to some local trails this weekend so I guess I'll have to take the FJ instead of the discovery. FJ is a work in progress but runs perfectly and the trails this weekend are supposedly very easy and it is more of a get together. Will probably have the discovery garaged for three weeks or so now and I'm also going to install an oil pressure gauge prior to running her again.

I want to redo the shuttle valve while I'm doing everything else but the kit seems to be $795 and that is outrageous.

I can't believe how lucky I was to have the light start to come on and notice it before any damage. I hooked it up to read the codes and nothing came up??? I guess since the light turned back off before I turned the car off that that might cause them not to show up?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Low oil PSI will not set off the check engine light.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM
KBW
Mudding

it was the oil light not the engine light

Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do not drive it till you are able to set up an appointment with a mechanic to leave it over night then do a cold idle pressure test, the cols at 2000 rpm's, idle when warm and at 2000 rpm's. That's when you will know what is going on.
Get back to us with the pressures.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Team Owner

Mike-what is the oil psi supposed to be on a LR?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 PM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Do not drive it till you are able to set up an appointment with a mechanic to leave it over night then do a cold idle pressure test, the cols at 2000 rpm's, idle when warm and at 2000 rpm's. That's when you will know what is going on.
Get back to us with the pressures.
I borrowed my buddies flat bed tow truck and brought it back to my garage. I've putting the new oil pump in either way so I'm going to go ahead and have that done and then get all the pressures tested as it may be something else. No way I'm starting it up again until I know it is fixed. Thank goodness it isn't my dd. I turned the key to on without cranking so I could move it and the oil light and battery light were the only two that stayed on. Guess that means the pump is probably gone. thankfully I got it turned off without engine damage it seems.

Not mad at all about this happening as I needed to go ahead and switch out the pump and check out the whole oil system or whatever. My buddy is letting me borrow his flat bed whenever I need it which in the long run will save me a ton of $

Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Team Owner

The oil light stayed on because the engine was not running and there was no oil pressure, that is normal.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM
KBW
Mudding

...you can tell I don't know much

Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ah, 50k mile 03 in vin range, bound to happen.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Rock Crawling

oil light stays on until pressure is workable...

if it is cold outside it will stay on an extra 5 or 6 seconds

if it turns on while driving... then you have problems

Quick Reply: Got the dreaded oil light today...