Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got key fob?

I just got an 04 disco2(I LOVE IT SO FAR!!),but the last owner only had one key fob.Can i get a fob and program it myself or do i have to go to LR?.If i go there i know they will bend me over!I did go to a lock smith and he made me a key but it only unlocks and locks the door.When it put in the ingition it wont turn.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds like a bad copy.

You can get the fob programmed at a shop if they have a computer that knows how to talk to the BCU.

You'll also need a fob with a bar code (ie NEW) or hope that land rover will help you get the code. There is at least one rover computer system that can program the fob without the barcode.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.bputah.com sells replacement FOBs. But do a quick search on the forum; others have had the same issue and gone a couple different routes (and costs)

Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
Sounds like a bad copy.

You can get the fob programmed at a shop if they have a computer that knows how to talk to the BCU.

You'll also need a fob with a bar code (ie NEW) or hope that land rover will help you get the code. There is at least one rover computer system that can program the fob without the barcode.
Thanks for the info.Im gonna try another lock smith and see what happens before calling LR

Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ghengis86
British Parts of Utah-Land Range Rover Sport LR4 LR3 LR2 Discovery Defender Freelander Genuine OEM Accessories Parts sells replacement FOBs. But do a quick search on the forum; others have had the same issue and gone a couple different routes (and costs)
Thats sounds good.If i loose this key im in deep SH%T

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.bputah.com sells replacement FOBs. But do a quick search on the forum; others have had the same issue and gone a couple different routes (and costs)
I'm pretty sure that another locksmith won't help. There FOB has electronic inside that communicate with the vehicles computer. So it has to be the correct physically cut key and a properly programmed (paired) FOB. So a properly cut key will open door locks and fit into the ignition, but without the proper programming the engine will not turn over. It's a security feature

Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get keys cut all the time for Discos at Lowes. They do not have a chip in them, but they need to be cut correctly. As far as the fob, if you are sure the batteries are good, then it sounds like a dealer issue.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Wilson96rr, is correct there is no chip it is a bad cut key.
I had a same problem when i look very closly at my original key the top cut and bottom cut were off by a hair.
when the locksmith copied the key he did not flip the original key over to cut the second side, he copied the 1st side.
it would open the door (because the door uses waffer pins) but would not unlock the ignition (which i'm guessing uses tumblers). I went back and made him flip the original and the copy and had no problems with that key.
Also see if you can find LR blanks on line the Ilco x239 blank isnt the best quality, ok for a spare I dont know if i would trust it everyday.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

An Autologic computer can be used to program a fob using the numeric code in the key, all other systems require the barcode: http://www.autologic-diagnostics.com...rogramming.pdf

Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure that another locksmith won't help. There FOB has electronic inside that communicate with the vehicles computer. So it has to be the correct physically cut key and a properly programmed (paired) FOB. So a properly cut key will open door locks and fit into the ignition, but without the proper programming the engine will not turn over. It's a security feature
This is not true. I have gone to a local locksmith and had 3 keys made and they all open the door lock and turn the ignition on.

Quick Reply: Got key fob?