Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a new Discovery but need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Got a new Discovery but need some help

Yesterday I picked up a 1999.5 Disco II Canadian import, speedo and odo are in KM and heater/ AC read C. It only has 84K miles on it and is in good shape. While driving it yesterday I noticed a few things were not working. The lights for the mirrors in the sun visors don't work, the front cig light has no power, both front seat heaters don't work and I can't get the head lamp washers to spray even with the head lamps on. I checked the fuse box and there are no blown fuses, I don't have an owners hand book so I don't know where else to start. Any help would be great.

Alex

Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first off, headlight washers only work on every "3" pulls of the screen washers, with lights ON as well...... try that...

Seat heaters, well could be duff, but may also not be "enabled" in the BCU (body control unit) "if" they were retro fitted by PO.

To change the ODO to read MILES, simple push and HOLD the trip set button with ignition on.

The temperature displays can be converted to
or from Fahrenheit and Centigrade, as follows:
•Press and hold the air recirculation button.
•At the same time, press and hold the on/off
button for 3 seconds.
•A ‘bleep’ will sound to indicate that the
conversion has taken place.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alex J
I don't have an owners hand book so I don't know where else to start. Any help would be great.

Alex
Congrats on the find...here is an owners and shop manual (RAVE) for free: http://landroverresource.com/

Old 12-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your head/park lights probably need to be on to get the sun visor mirror lights to work .

Old 12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the tips, I will try changing the heater/ac display and odo tomorrow. Got all the other issues sorted but the head lamp washers but didn't try pulling the washers 3 times. I found a second fuse panel under the steering wheel and had a blown fuse for the seat heaters, visor lights and power outlet. I did find another issue on a short trip today, I can't get the cruise control to work. The button on the dash lights up but I can't figure out how to set the cruise.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cruise controls are inside the finger well, right side of the wheel, opposite the radio controls. There's a vacuum hose thing that happens under the hood sometimes such that it *still* won't work; you may have that problem.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Three Wheeling

To set the cruise you will pull the top button towards you. To accelerate with it set you pull the top button towards you. To coast you pull the bottom button towards you. To resume you pull the bottom button towards you.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Baylink
Cruise controls are inside the finger well, right side of the wheel, opposite the radio controls. There's a vacuum hose thing that happens under the hood sometimes such that it *still* won't work; you may have that problem.
Surprised to hear such a new car still uses vac to operate the cruise control. The BMW's I've been working with the last 7 years haven't used vac for cruise control since the '70's. I'll check for a broken hose tomorrow after work. This may explain the slight misfire I get every now and then at idle.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Baylink

For the cruise you might check the rubber hose to the vacuum module, trace back the wires to the throttle, one goes to the module. That 1.5 foot hose frequently cracks and if this is the problem it is a $4.00 5 minute fix. Bring the cracked hose to an auto parts store and get a piece of new hose, make it 3 inches longer to take the curves a little easier. Done.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Rock Crawling

I got the temp controls and cluster switched yesterday. I found the big hose on the cruise control cracked and replaced it but it still doesn't work.

New question, is there a way to make the factory alarm chirp or honk the horn when it is set?

Quick Reply: Got a new Discovery but need some help