Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grade of Nylon Threadlocking nut(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grade of Nylon Threadlocking nut(s)

Does anyone know what grade nuts are the nylon threadlocking nuts that bolt the front driveshaft to the transfer case and to the diff? I did not want to re-use the old ones.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling

You can't go wrong with grade 8 in this application. The originals might not be, though it would seem odd for them not to be, but when it comes to strength, there's no such thing as overkill.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rover Curious
You can't go wrong with grade 8 in this application. The originals might not be, though it would seem odd for them not to be, but when it comes to strength, there's no such thing as overkill.
Actually, in this case, there is such a thing as "Overkill". according to my instructions: "Throw away the old nuts and use new ones that are equal in grade and NEVER greater in grade than the bolt (emphasis theirs). Nuts are designed to yield (deform) around the threads of the bolt, thus distributing the load evenly among the nut threads."

Hence the question remains, what is the grade of the OEM bolts, or the nylon threadlocking nuts.

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Winching

It also depends on if they're metric or American standard.

A grade 8.8 in metric is equal to a grade 5. A grade 10.9 in metric is equal to a grade 8.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy one of each.. place them in a vice, and crank down on them seperatly seeing how much force it takes to crush them...

Then place one of the old nuts in the vice and do the same thing..

Not scientific, but it might due

Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Mudding

Well I guess I could just go ahead and buy the bolts too, instead of trying to guess what the grade of the original bolts are. I'm just trying to save every last dime because my "to do" list is pretty long. Thanks guys.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh, The way you were talking I thought there were studs on the TC..
Yep replace the nuts and bolts.. What do they cost $1 a piece?? Go with grade 8

Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Angry

This statement is also the definition of achieving proper torque:

"Nuts are designed to yield (deform) around the threads of the bolt, thus distributing the load evenly among the nut threads."

Just as a guess, I think hte nuts in this application are the same grade as the bolts, the need to withstand the push/pull forces of the shaft while the bolts need to withstand the rotational sheer force.

I recently tried to find out the same answer because I'm replacing my driveshaft with a TW, so I called AB and talked with brian(?), I wanted to simply order new ones (which they have on hand, he said) he first stated I can not rebuild the driveshaft and have to order a new one, I told him I was replacing the shaft (not theirs) then he seemed to be pissed, then not only did he not answer my question he told me to go to the hardware store and buy them simple as that and pretty much just cut me off.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling

OK, yeah, I forgot about the whole metric grading system being different. I personally would only use grade 8, or in this case, being a British vehicle, the metric equivalent. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to see the bolt head by climbing under the truck and looking. If it is metric, the grade stamp is a number. Either 8.8 or 10.9. If it's SAE, the grade is marked with either 3 or 6 hash marks pointing in from the edge of the bolt head. 3 is Grade 5, 6 is Grade 8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolted_...Property_class

Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Mudding

The bolts do not say what grade it is. the bolts that I removed are stamped "ATLAS T"

Quick Reply: Grade of Nylon Threadlocking nut(s)