Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Grease prop shaft (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/grease-prop-shaft-78967/)

sayeedA 04-21-2016 05:48 PM

Grease prop shaft

2 Attachment(s)
I have been reading about prop shaft Greasing points. I see people have 4 in front and 2 in Rear.

I can only find 3 in the front (not Stock I replaced locally few years ago)

and 2 in the rear

Am I missing something or this is the way this shaft was build ?

Attaching pic

Thanks

coors 04-21-2016 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by sayeedA (Post 564450)
I have been reading about prop shaft Greasing points. I see people have 4 in front and 2 in Rear.

I can only find 3 in the front (not Stock I replaced locally few years ago)

and 2 in the rear

Am I missing something or this is the way this shaft was build ?

Attaching pic

Thanks

You should have a zerk (yours could have possibly, snapped off) on the shaft body itself. Located just behind the gaitor. The zerk feeds grease to the splines on the shaft.

sayeedA 04-21-2016 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by coors (Post 564453)
You should have a zerk (yours could have possibly, snapped off) on the shaft body itself. Located just behind the gaitor. The zerk feeds grease to the splines on the shaft.

Thanks Coors!

After good look I found that point but looks flash. wonder if this is flash type or your theory the Zerk fell out. I dont want to force something in it. may be get a Zerk to see if screws in or a special feeder attached to the grease guns end. I am about to go to Advanced Auto after dinner

sayeedA 04-21-2016 07:07 PM

Well after cleaning and taking a close look. Its a Hex screw. Now I am going to store to get some Zerk to replace that sucker.

Thanks

DiscoCam 04-21-2016 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by sayeedA (Post 564464)
Well after cleaning and taking a close look. Its a Hex screw. Now I am going to store to get some Zerk to replace that sucker.

Thanks

make sure that you reinstall the screw after greasing so you don't throw off the shaft's balance.

sayeedA 04-21-2016 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by DiscoCam (Post 564472)
make sure that you reinstall the screw after greasing so you don't throw off the shaft's balance.

I was thinking to replace the screw with Zerk but your advice makes sense.

Thanks

chubbs878 04-21-2016 08:59 PM

I've read in a few places that you are supposed to take the zerk out of the shaft body because it can catch the frame rail or something when the front suspension is fully compressed. That seems like a stretch but I've never studied it that hard. Most likely it won't bother anything if you leave the grease zerk in like most people. Does it make you wonder if the shaft has ever been greased there? Don't forget to pump new grease until the old stuff comes out of all 4 caps. If you tap the yoke with a hammer you can sometimes get the grease to come out of the caps that aren't getting the new stuff fed into them...you know like when you pump, pump, pump but continuously comes out of the 1, same spot?

DiscoCam 04-21-2016 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by sayeedA (Post 564475)
I was thinking to replace the screw with Zerk but your advice makes sense.

Thanks

I left a zerk in on my Toyota Sequoia and it caused a vibration. It took me a while to figure out. In theory it should be ok because it is so small but even that could throw off the balance. I have even heard in some cases that caked on mud caused vibrations. Better safe than sorry.

sayeedA 04-21-2016 09:40 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Used a Zerk to feed and put the screw back in. Not taking a chance. It's a minor details but worthy. You don't want something sticking out on a rotating shaft. I used high temp Pink Grease just so I can see the old stuff clears up.

I feel a lot better now after the Greasing. I usually have a place shoot some not very often since I change my oil. Now that I got the Craftsman Gun i will be shooting everywhere. LOL

Truck is ready for lake and boating this weekend. All the darn rain is gone now. I am in Austin we were flooded around here.

chubbs878 04-22-2016 07:00 AM

Austin, huh? I think JoeMama is down there too. I lived down there for a couple of years when first started college; loved it. In Dallas now. not too far from you. Houston is really bad off.