Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greasing U-joints has created a monster

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Greasing U-joints has created a monster

ever since rebuilding my DS i grease my joints and shafts reguarly. however today when i was under there greasing and cleaning and swappin oil and filters i noticed that the excess grease from the joints spins off the joints and shaft and has created a monster of a mess under my truck. there is grease stuck to the side of the oil sump, the frame and more. i wiped it down and now i think everything has a nice protective coat of grease.... anyone dealing with this? or am i just over greasing everything? or should i suck it up and clean more often so it doesnt look like my u joints threw up all over my under carriage...

Old 04-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
ever since rebuilding my DS i grease my joints and shafts reguarly. however today when i was under there greasing and cleaning and swappin oil and filters i noticed that the excess grease from the joints spins off the joints and shaft and has created a monster of a mess under my truck. there is grease stuck to the side of the oil sump, the frame and more. i wiped it down and now i think everything has a nice protective coat of grease.... anyone dealing with this? or am i just over greasing everything? or should i suck it up and clean more often so it doesnt look like my u joints threw up all over my under carriage...

yeah it is pretty common just clean it off everytime u change the oil.My trucks do the same thingit makes one hell of a mess when u grease them just look at it this way ur truck wont rust in that spot now

Old 04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You might also watch how much grease you are using and how frequently you grease.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im most likely using too much, i have been greasing at every oil change or 3 months whatever comes first. better safe than sorry, i guess safe just involves more cleaning.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Cool

another British engineering exclusive.....rust proof as you drive !!!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful though because after a bit of spirited driving the other day (late to work) my cat started on fire or nearly started on fire, i don't exactly know, it was smoking something fierce though. Was pretty funny actually, I just kept driving and it stopped eventually. People must have though I was crazy.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah.. Too much grease I'm sure. Just enough to get it to come out a tad

Old 04-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine is the same way.
Smells really good when the exhaust gets hot after a fresh greasing.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GARovee
Yeah.. Too much grease I'm sure. Just enough to get it to come out a tad
No. If you don't see new grease coming from around all 4 seals on each u-joint you haven't greased it properly.

If you don't like the grease flinging off when driving, just wipe it off the u-joints when you're done lubing it.
The reason you want to have new grease coming out from around the seals is so you know you've purged all the old grease, not so you have lot's of grease outside the u-joint.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
No. If you don't see new grease coming from around all 4 seals on each u-joint you haven't greased it properly.

If you don't like the grease flinging off when driving, just wipe it off the u-joints when you're done lubing it.
The reason you want to have new grease coming out from around the seals is so you know you've purged all the old grease, not so you have lot's of grease outside the u-joint.

true, wipe it off, I gease my DI every spring (10k mies maybe), the mobil syn oozes out still reddish.( I inspect about 4 times/year)

Then I wipe off the excess. (wipe the zerks off, first, also)

luck,greg

Last edited by greg409; 04-10-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Greasing U-joints has created a monster