Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great, *Cheap* Diagnostic Tool Investment

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great, *Cheap* Diagnostic Tool Investment

I have yet to verify this, but I see no reason as to why its not legit. As you may or may not know, OBD2 diagnostic tools simply are programs that run on some platform that read error codes on your vehicle and help diagnose problems. Well, I was getting ready to shell out a few hundred when I came across an app for Android that only cost $4.50. This app, coupled with a bluetooth OBD2 plug will let you use your phone to scan and clear all your codes!

See it in action below: Torque Android App Review & OBDII Bluetooth Adapter - YouTube

I fully plan on purchasing this today and reviewing this product as soon as I get the bluetooth adapter.

Edit: I also have access to a professional grade diag tool, and I will definitely run a comparison side by side to see if there are any discrepancies in results.

Last edited by phil29; 09-23-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4.50! wow! I bought an obd to computer adapter for 12 bucks with free software a couple years back. but if i can just use my phone. HECK YEAH! let us know how it works out.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Winching

Been using this same set up for about a year now and it works great.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by photocrimes
Awesome, good to know. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by photocrimes
X2... It's an great application! I'm running the pro version on the Android Eris, which is an old build version (it's got a bit of a lag). I've seen it operate on newer phones and its impressive.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X3...I use this setup also and it works really well

Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I've been running it for awhile as well, works great. I have it on my tablet and my phone. Great for real time monitoring on the paid app version.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Make sure you get a good bluetooth adapter

X4
..been using Torque for almost a year now... I've been researching custom PID's etc for our Discos.

For the other guys who've been using this (Torque), I'd like to know:

1) What year is your Disco?
2) How many PIDs per second are you getting? (look in "adapter status" in the Torque app when you are connected)
3). How often do you get adapter errors when you're using Torque? (look in "adapter status" in the Torque app when you are connected)
4). What kind of bluetooth adapter are you using?
5). What kind of results have you gotten running the PID scanner in the "Torque Scanner Pluggin" add on?

Cheers,

Thomas

Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling

1)2001
3)never
4)cheap eBay elm unit

We need to plug these extended PID's in so torque could see rover info. Not sure of a easy way.
Land Rover Discovery II: Proprietary OBDII Codes > Northwest Overland Society > Most Recent

5)Ive tried the scan plugin, no luck either.

Originally Posted by twaszak
X4
..been using Torque for almost a year now... I've been researching custom PID's etc for our Discos.

For the other guys who've been using this (Torque), I'd like to know:

1) What year is your Disco?
2) How many PIDs per second are you getting? (look in "adapter status" in the Torque app when you are connected)
3). How often do you get adapter errors when you're using Torque? (look in "adapter status" in the Torque app when you are connected)
4). What kind of bluetooth adapter are you using?
5). What kind of results have you gotten running the PID scanner in the "Torque Scanner Pluggin" add on?

Cheers,

Thomas

Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hallfleming

We need to plug these extended PID's in so torque could see rover info. Not sure of a easy way.
Land Rover Discovery II: Proprietary OBDII Codes > Northwest Overland Society > Most Recent
You're right that we need to figure out how to input/use PID's and Land Rover specific/extended PID's. But I think there might be some confusion about what is and isn't a "PID", how they are used, and that they are not "P codes"/diagnostic codes.
The web link you included was for diagnostic codes. The term "PID code" is often incorrectly used to describe a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). This is understandable since most DTC's people see are "Powertrain" DTC's that begin with the letter "P" (ie. P0158 etc).
Anyway, the "P" in "PID", stands for "parameter". A parameter is a specific value such as wheel speed, temperature, flow rate etc. The various sensors constantly measure these values. The ECU makes calls to the sensors for these values and collects the data. The ECU needs and uses this data to do whatever it's been programed to do with it.
"PID" stands for "parameter identifier". AKA "PID Codes" and occasionally inaccurately referred to as "P Codes". (hence the confusion with Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) that begin with the letter "P"). Ultimately it doesn't matter what two or more people call something so long as they know they are talking about the same thing.
Anywho, a "PID" is a code that a diagnostic tool/scanner uses to request parameter specific info from the vehicle (usually an ECU). If your scanner is showing you "live" data, it's using a PID to do it.
What is so cool about the "Torque" program is that it gives you an interface to input your own custom and Land Rover proprietary extended PIDs. The challenge for us, is trying to figure out the proper, Land Rover Disco2 specific, coding, syntax and values etc for our Bosch ECUs (we have multiple ECU's BTW). And this is where I am.

Cheers,

Thomas

Quick Reply: Great, *Cheap* Diagnostic Tool Investment