Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings from a lurker from Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 10:11 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Greetings from a lurker from Wisconsin

Greetings fellow D2 owners!

My name is Gordon and I wanted to introduce myself to the D2 community on this forum. This is introduction is long overdue seeing as my life has been in the thick since my 2008 Range Rover HSE was stolen out of my driveway by a group of teenagers. There is a whole story behind how it was stolen, but long story short I learned a valuable lesson in the ramifications of not knowning where spare key sets are stored... After getting a rapid download on adulthood relating to insurance companies and how automobile theft is handled, my RR was totaled, and my first priority was finding a suitable replacement to my cherished RR. The big question after the vehicle was totaled was simple: Do I find a replacement in kind (maybe find supercharged fullsized RR) or do I go the path less travelled and go with a Discovery. After owning an 06-10 L322 RR it was apparent to me that there were not as many options in terms of upgrades for offroading so I was leaning heavily to a Discovery 2.
After doing the proper research and searching these glorious forums it was decided with my fiance that the Discovery was the way to go. I was able to find a 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 SE7 at a vintage motor shop in NC. The owner of this is a Land Rover afficiando and hand picks all of the Land Rover's himself. As well, the place was within driving distance of my folks and they were gracious enough to go check it out for me. The place is called AP vintage motors for those interested. The prices aren't bad and they do full shipping. I know that maybe I might of overpaid a bit but given the circumstance I was able to find a suitable replacement that had low miles, great interior, 3" lift kit, safari snorkel, and I had them install an ARB bumper with winch,lights, and install a hi lift jack.

I am going to be frank: Having the Range Rover stolen and choosing the Disco has been the best thing that has ever happened to me in my adult life. It has empowered me to take responsibility as an adult in terms autmobile maintenance of not only my vehicle but my fiances vehicle. This life lesson also has been applied to house maintenance, which has been invaluable. I knew choosing the Disco would be a path less travelled but boy has it been an amazing experience. Getting it delivered to Wisconsin in late January, and seeing that I didn't measure my garage door or ask how tall the dang this was meant all maintenainance required was to be performed outside. So after performing what I deemed immediately required maintenance, purchasing a whole bunch of tools, a 6 ton jack, and jack stands this is what I have done and currently where the Disco is at:

- Bought an Ultragauge for obvious reasons
- Replaced the pollen filter
- Replaced the air filter
- Replaced all the wipers

Cooling System:
- Drained the orange coolant
- Performed a full coolant flush
- Removal of the janky improperly rigged expansion tank
- Installation of the aluminum expansion tank
- Complete hose swap ( All of them: I do not like the heater hoses...)
- Lowered the temp of the operating coolant temperature by swapping to a lower temp thermostat
This was performed in 2 days due to the fact I did not know what a spring clamp tool was and I foolishly realized that once I began the flush the task was not complete until I had a liquid in there that would not freeze below the ambient temp of Wisconsin at night.... Let me tell you know I messed up big time and was up extremely late flushing and refilling myself with Miller High Life. So yeah. I learned a lesson there.
- Refill with 50/50 green coolant

- Oil & Oil Filter Change: This was literally the only maintenance I performed on the RR so this was straight forward minus the horrible flimsy Oil catch drip tray that was collecting oil, and I did not like it. I removed it before my 2nd oil change. I went with the Rotella T6 5W-40.
- Front drive shaft replacement w/ a GBR heavy duty drive shaft
Differential Oil Change: Gear oil stinks.
- Transmission Oil Change: Not a day after I performed the transmission oil change did I realize that I forgot the magnet... So I had to do it again. The second time was easier. I replaced all the bolts and pan holders the first time.
- Headlight mount replacement: The right was broken when I received it, and of course when I went to replace it the headlight adjustment screw snapped. That was a PITA to get out.
- Replaced the serpentine belt
- Replaced the tensior pulley
- Replaced the idler pulleys
- Replaced the right A pilar
- Replaced the battery
- Replaced the negative cable seeing as the battery I replaced with was smaller and the negative cable did not reach
- Replaced the positive terminals
- Replaced Idle to control valve hose
- Replaced the idle to manifold hose
- Removed the PCV tree and performed the inline Best4x4 PCV valve mod
- Installed Dog gaurd so the dogs can sit in their little jumper seats in the rear
- Got a full sized rubber mat for the rear

This is a list of what I have done. I want to give a shout out to all the helpful posts and mods that I have noticed on this forum that have been a plethora of knowledge. Best 4x4 and Disco Mike are the first that come to mind. As well as all the others that constantly ask questions and answer them as well.
Without knowning many of the rules. I do not want to begin asking questions in this post but will save them for later. I am excited to become a member of this community officially and have a lot of questions.

The following 4 users liked this post by WildPackofFamilyDogs:
ahab (05-15-2020), boston4 (05-15-2020), CollieRover (05-15-2020), jastutte (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 10:48 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Welcome!

You found a smaller battery with greater than 850 CCA?

Old 05-14-2020, 11:03 PM
Mudding

Hey Dave,

Did Gord do bad? I just checked it and it is an Optimum red top CCA 800... I was in a pinch and had limited time to research. Hopefully this doesn't bite me in the long run.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:08 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by WildPackofFamilyDogs
Greetings fellow D2 owners!

My name is Gordon and I wanted to introduce myself to the D2 community on this forum. This is introduction is long overdue seeing as my life has been in the thick since my 2008 Range Rover HSE was stolen out of my driveway by a group of teenagers. There is a whole story behind how it was stolen, but long story short I learned a valuable lesson in the ramifications of not knowning where spare key sets are stored... After getting a rapid download on adulthood relating to insurance companies and how automobile theft is handled, my RR was totaled, and my first priority was finding a suitable replacement to my cherished RR. The big question after the vehicle was totaled was simple: Do I find a replacement in kind (maybe find supercharged fullsized RR) or do I go the path less travelled and go with a Discovery. After owning an 06-10 L322 RR it was apparent to me that there were not as many options in terms of upgrades for offroading so I was leaning heavily to a Discovery 2.
After doing the proper research and searching these glorious forums it was decided with my fiance that the Discovery was the way to go. I was able to find a 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 SE7 at a vintage motor shop in NC. The owner of this is a Land Rover afficiando and hand picks all of the Land Rover's himself. As well, the place was within driving distance of my folks and they were gracious enough to go check it out for me. The place is called AP vintage motors for those interested. The prices aren't bad and they do full shipping. I know that maybe I might of overpaid a bit but given the circumstance I was able to find a suitable replacement that had low miles, great interior, 3" lift kit, safari snorkel, and I had them install an ARB bumper with winch,lights, and install a hi lift jack.

I am going to be frank: Having the Range Rover stolen and choosing the Disco has been the best thing that has ever happened to me in my adult life. It has empowered me to take responsibility as an adult in terms autmobile maintenance of not only my vehicle but my fiances vehicle. This life lesson also has been applied to house maintenance, which has been invaluable. I knew choosing the Disco would be a path less travelled but boy has it been an amazing experience. Getting it delivered to Wisconsin in late January, and seeing that I didn't measure my garage door or ask how tall the dang this was meant all maintenainance required was to be performed outside. So after performing what I deemed immediately required maintenance, purchasing a whole bunch of tools, a 6 ton jack, and jack stands this is what I have done and currently where the Disco is at:

- Bought an Ultragauge for obvious reasons
- Replaced the pollen filter
- Replaced the air filter
- Replaced all the wipers

Cooling System:
- Drained the orange coolant
- Performed a full coolant flush
- Removal of the janky improperly rigged expansion tank
- Installation of the aluminum expansion tank
- Complete hose swap ( All of them: I do not like the heater hoses...)
- Lowered the temp of the operating coolant temperature by swapping to a lower temp thermostat
This was performed in 2 days due to the fact I did not know what a spring clamp tool was and I foolishly realized that once I began the flush the task was not complete until I had a liquid in there that would not freeze below the ambient temp of Wisconsin at night.... Let me tell you know I messed up big time and was up extremely late flushing and refilling myself with Miller High Life. So yeah. I learned a lesson there.
- Refill with 50/50 green coolant

- Oil & Oil Filter Change: This was literally the only maintenance I performed on the RR so this was straight forward minus the horrible flimsy Oil catch drip tray that was collecting oil, and I did not like it. I removed it before my 2nd oil change. I went with the Rotella T6 5W-40.
- Front drive shaft replacement w/ a GBR heavy duty drive shaft
Differential Oil Change: Gear oil stinks.
- Transmission Oil Change: Not a day after I performed the transmission oil change did I realize that I forgot the magnet... So I had to do it again. The second time was easier. I replaced all the bolts and pan holders the first time.
- Headlight mount replacement: The right was broken when I received it, and of course when I went to replace it the headlight adjustment screw snapped. That was a PITA to get out.
- Replaced the serpentine belt
- Replaced the tensior pulley
- Replaced the idler pulleys
- Replaced the right A pilar
- Replaced the battery
- Replaced the negative cable seeing as the battery I replaced with was smaller and the negative cable did not reach
- Replaced the positive terminals
- Replaced Idle to control valve hose
- Replaced the idle to manifold hose
- Removed the PCV tree and performed the inline Best4x4 PCV valve mod
- Installed Dog gaurd so the dogs can sit in their little jumper seats in the rear
- Got a full sized rubber mat for the rear

This is a list of what I have done. I want to give a shout out to all the helpful posts and mods that I have noticed on this forum that have been a plethora of knowledge. Best 4x4 and Disco Mike are the first that come to mind. As well as all the others that constantly ask questions and answer them as well.
Without knowning many of the rules. I do not want to begin asking questions in this post but will save them for later. I am excited to become a member of this community officially and have a lot of questions.

great research and great execution
your disco is in good hands

Old 05-14-2020, 11:33 PM
Mudding

Thanks mate!

Old 05-14-2020, 11:44 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Well you can't go wrong with an Optima... At least you got a real good battery!! I have a 15 year old blue top in my '69 VW... But that hardly requires any power!!

You should probably be good, and it will let you know if there are any issues. I would think though that having a higher CCA battery would be even more important in a cold winter location like WI.

Best of luck, not meaning to nit pick, you've done crazy well overall!!

Just went through this with the P38 my son drives... Battery started acting up with the stay at home situation... Got to looking and it was a physically and electrically too small 800 CCA unit... found the correct (for a P38) group 31 (very large) 900 CCA unit at O'Reilly for $125!!

Last edited by Dave03S; 05-14-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Welcome to the group.

Brian.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Congrats on your Disco 2 purchase and welcome to the forum!

Old 05-15-2020, 07:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts
Old 05-15-2020, 08:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Great intro, many of us share the same sentiments with regard to manning up when it comes to campaigning a D2 in the game of life. There are no shortcuts here, it demands common sense and situational awareness at all times or you will quickly join the hordes of people who incorrectly claim that these old trucks break down too often and are junk, and that you'd be better off with a jeep. Being pretty new to these trucks time-wise myself, I cannot imagine what it must have been like to pick one of these up new and drive around for years with your only required tools being a key and a gas card. And not in that order. Sounds like you've made an excellent start down the path however I agree with Dave on the battery. Nothing you need to worry about now but a smaller battery doesn't seem prudent given what you're about to face in 4 or 5 months. In any case, welcome and best wishes with your new truck and your new outlook on life!

Not to bring up a sore subject but would I be correct in guessing that thieves using spare keys do not account for the same kind of theft and the insurance co beat you up over that? No answer required if it's too painful to relive!

Quick Reply: Greetings from a lurker from Wisconsin