Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half of key is broke off in the ignition! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half of key is broke off in the ignition! HELP

This is a good one....

Wife drives the Disco II to work. Works all day, goes out to leave, and I'll be damn, half the key is missing. The other half is snapped off in the key cylinder. So basically.....WTF do I do????? Multiple questions here....

1) Car is stuck at wifes work, so its going to be a real B**** to work on there. How do I get it out of neutral with out being able to turn the key if I have it pulled/towed home?? Good news is, her work is about 5 mins from the house

2) Where do I even begin??? There is no way in hell I'm going to be able to fish the remainder of the key out, and even better, I didn't get a spare set of keys when I got the truck. So I need advice for where to start...pull the cylinder? Call a lock smith?

3) Once I get the key out, whats the cheapest way to get a new one cut? I remember seeing on here at some point, someone mentioned that it is a toyota iginition maybe??? There was a link online for a replacement key for around $4-$6. The fob on the broken key still works

I'm down to one car between the two of us with a 2 year old. We both work full time and have a 2 yr old to cart around. Sounds like I'm taking the next couple days off to get this fixed....Please HELP!!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Good news, your key is not broken.
The fob snaps over the end of the key, they key looks like this.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/CWE100710KITG.cfm

That is the key and remote.
Use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the key out, snap fob over end, done.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Call a locksmith, if you can find such a mythical creature this day and age.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Overlanding

Spike, I should have described it better. I don't think there is a pair of needle nose pliers alive that can get this key out. About half of it snapped off in the cylinder. See the pic of all thats left....

Attached Thumbnails Half of key is broke off in the ignition! HELP-0629001932.jpg  
Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Team Owner

Well, you have a nice nose picker now. lol

You are going to have to call a lock smith unless you can shove that half into the ignition and finish pushing the other half all the way in and then it should turn and you can drive it.
Once home you can replace the ignition switch.

If you can get it home that way and it will not turn off then pull the fuel pump fuse and the engine will stall.
Then unhook the battery and replace the fuse.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Good news, your key is not broken.
The fob snaps over the end of the key, they key looks like this.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/CWE100710KITG.cfm

That is the key and remote.
Use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the key out, snap fob over end, done.
One thing you forgot to mention Spike when dealing with a detached key shank: superglue!! I had this misfortune of losing my key shank at work outside, at night, in the snow, when it was 2* with 25mph winds. It was the only key I had. By the grace of God, the snow melted a day later, I retraced my steps, and found it! When I got home, I removed it from the fob, applied a few drops of superglue, and reattached. It is never coming out again.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Overlanding

You guys aint gonna believe this....

I catch the neighbor dude outside hanging out and tell him of my delima. He's pretty handy and offers to at least go look at it...I figure, what the hell...why not. We take various pics, pliers blah blah blah...we get to looking around and come to the conclusion that, hey, there isnt anything in the ignition switch. At that time, neighbor dude looks down in the cup holder and SOB, there's the other half of the key. No friggin way....The key must have been so on the verge of breaking that when she pulled the key out, it bumped the dash/cupholder/ something, and broke....so now...

I have both halves of the key, and need to figure out what to do here. I've super glued the two halves together with some strong sh** with the hope that maybe the keymaker can get a pattern off it. Maybe, Maybe not. I'm willing to try. I need to know what replacement key works. I think I've heard that a Toyota key will work. If they can't get a pattern off the key, how do I go about getting a replacement without having to screw with the stealership?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Team Owner

The only way to get a new key if the copy will not work is from the dealer.
They will need your VIN# and proof of ownership.

http://www.worldlocksmith.com/keybla...blanks_car.htm

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Kaba...k-u555303.html

The DI key blank is the same as the DII.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...item563db46984

Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Rock Crawling

One of my spares is an ILCO X239 RV4 blank. Believe they told me it is the same blank as Subaru uses. By the way my local ACE Hardware custom files keys so it might be another place to check out.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Overlanding

Good news....The super glued key held together well enough that a local lock and key business was able to make a copy from an RV4 blank. It was comical in the sense that he argued to the death that I had to keep my keyfob "right next to the other key" because apparently he believes "them electronics need to be up 'er to work right" I didn't waste the effort to explain different...there was no point. Just smiled and went on about my business. Returned to the Rover, put the key in, wham, fired right up. Thanks to all for the help and direction.

Quick Reply: Half of key is broke off in the ignition! HELP