Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard/slow starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 04:54 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking You saved me!

Originally Posted by longjon76
I hate it when people post problems but never follow up with the solution. So...

The slow start condition continued with no real worsening. Then I tried to start it immediately after my girlfriend drove it. The engine turned over very slowly and then stopped. It sounded exactly like a bad battery.

I pulled the negative battery cable and the heat shield. Then I removed the large nuts on the solenoid and the signal wire. I shorted the two sides of the solenoid to try and narrow down whether it was starter or solenoid failing, and when I reconnected the battery the starter spun freely. I took everything back apart and gave the terminals and grounds a thorough cleaning. Put everything back together and it started right up.

It was probably cleaning the grounds that really did it. I'm still going to start saving for a new AB starter. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks to everyone that weighed in.

I just want you to know I’ve been working on a solution for my starting issue for almost 5 months now had the starter tested and all and I just went to the car wash zapped my started with some water and now the problem is fixed starts right up EVERYTIME NOW!!!!!

Old 11-18-2019, 09:46 PM
Winching
Received 204 Likes on 102 Posts

Had the exact same issue. Battery and charging checked out. Connections and cables all seemed fine. $65 for a used started (shipped). Problem solved - I cannot remember it ever starting as fast as it does now.

Last edited by Tony Luna; 11-18-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

I have the same issue. Slow crank, late start most of the time. This happens more often when the engine is hot. First I put in a brand new battery four weeks ago, yesterday I installed a new crank shaft sensor, but no difference. I tested voltages, alternator, charging, numbers look good. I don't see a significant voltage drop over the battery's grounding strap (voltmeter from battery negative post to chassis) when cranking. The battery ground is good, but will check again. Tomorrow I am going to check and clean the connections at the starter. If it doesn't help, I will replace the starter.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

My follow up: contacts and wires looked good, so I decided to try a new starter. I got a remanufactured Bosch for $105 from a local parts store and put it in. Difference like day and night, the engine cranks like a machine gun. The slow cranking is fixed.
Another issue is still unsolved. When the engine is hot and I turn it off for just a minute it takes several cranks before it starts, while when cold it starts instantly. I installed a brand new crank shaft sensor already, but it didn't make a difference.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

That almost sounds like vapor lock to me Discorama especially since you already replaced the CPS. When I had Jeep's with the I6 4.0L vapor lock was a pretty common thing. Cold start would be flawless, drive somewhere, turn it off, go eat for example, come out, and crank it, and it would turn over and over and over, and finally start, but run rough for a few seconds. After it idled for maybe 10sec it would smooth out and be perfectly fine. On the I6 4.0L it was usually the injector for #3 when the fuel in it would vaporize. Once the vapor was replaced with liquid fuel = problem gone

Old 03-06-2021, 05:32 AM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

I had an intermittent slow start problem for a while - was quite frustrating to track - as I had load tests done which passed. I replaced battery - it would start strong as it should, then wouldn’t. I replaced CPS with genuine Rover part, started great for a short while & back to slow/ sometimes no start. Replaced starter; same routine. Good strong start, then nothing. Checked grounds and terminals. Solid tight clean. A few days post a brand new starter, it wouldn’t start again randomly - but a very slow, very weak start while out running errands - had to have it towed home. Frustratingly bizarre.

The final fix has been the motor ground bolt.
I tried to remove to clean and inspect the contact from negative battery cable to block, (which appeared cleanest connection of all) broke right off with 1/4 turn. Just below the ground bolt is an additional, identical threaded passage, perpendicular orientation. I bought a tap to clean out the threads and purchased new bolt. That ground has seemingly solved the problem.

someone here, I perhaps the Deputy, or Best4x4 suggested weak ground. Truck might be calling on e-brake cable to use as ground..

Last edited by SundayFunday; 03-06-2021 at 05:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Discorama (03-06-2021)