Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Used Mityvac for Brake Bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you called the company and asked them directly? You could aslo send them a digital picture in case they don't understand your description.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Mudding

AR I haven't. The reason is that in another thread someone already called them and it sounded like the Motive people were at a loss. If they knew the correct answer they probably wouldn't have the wrong part listed on their Application Guide. I'll probably also send them a pic and see what they know but it's just so much better if other forum members already have the right adapter.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the whole reason I got married. I have to listen to a little griping form time to time, but she sits in the seat and pushes the pedal or holds the light when I need it....

Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Mudding

Lucky you okdisco...just a "little" griping =>. This is the whole reason I haven't gotten married - I'd probably have to listen to a lot of griping AND not get any help on the pedal-pushing ... at least not without grief afterwards. Not to mention there would be ANOTHER vehicle that needs brakes bled and maintenance!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ha ha ha. I guess I got lucky and got a good one. Seriously though. That is still the best way to bleed brakes. Find a friend to push the pedal. a 12 pack is cheaper than a bleeder. Not sure if it is true on a D2, but ona D1, if you hold the pedal on the floor, the ABS will actuate..This allows to bleed through the ABS as well...

Old 05-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Terristirefrier
.....A better alternative is a simple hydraulic checkvalve clamped on the end of a rubber tube then pushed over the bleeder screw. As you depress the pedal, the brake fluid pushes the check valve open. When you release the pedal, the check valve seats to prevent air from coming back in the bleeder. Make sure you push the pedal down SLOWLY so the fluid force does not push the tubing off the bleeder while you're in the drivers seat!
I like that idea... have you rigged up something like this? If so what kind of check valve did you use? or you recommend?
Thanks!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Mudding

I have seen the check-valve bleed tube called KD Tool around the internet. Sears is supposed to carry it but my local one doesn't. Not a bad idea but if I'm in the cabin pushing pedal then how can I tell when new brake fluid comes out of the caliper?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Alan
I have seen the check-valve bleed tube called KD Tool around the internet. Sears is supposed to carry it but my local one doesn't. Not a bad idea but if I'm in the cabin pushing pedal then how can I tell when new brake fluid comes out of the caliper?

you mean this ???

http://kd-tools.com/2538.htm found it on Ebay

there are a couple of different type on Ebay if I search "One man brake bleeder"

I think I could use something like this even if I have to pump the pedal X times and go check the hose if it keeps the gf happy...heck she might rather watch the hose instead of pump the brakes and tell me when to stop...

i wonder if i can just find a check valve at the hardware store...i have the hose already... hmmm..

Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Mudding

Yes that's the one I was talking about. Well if you get it let me know how it works =>. My 02 cents is that you may still want to be the one watching the tube - when I bled my bike the difference in color between the old and the new fluid is pretty subtle. Not to mention if you pump the pedal too hard, tube flies off the bleed screw, and brake fluid all over your gf - it's going to be turn into a very bad day quick. =P

Old 05-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jycsalas
you mean this ???

http://kd-tools.com/2538.htm found it on Ebay

there are a couple of different type on Ebay if I search "One man brake bleeder"

I think I could use something like this even if I have to pump the pedal X times and go check the hose if it keeps the gf happy...heck she might rather watch the hose instead of pump the brakes and tell me when to stop...

i wonder if i can just find a check valve at the hardware store...i have the hose already... hmmm..

Well I bought the kd-tool one man bleeder offer bay for about $15 with free shipping and it works great. I used it on a 98 cherokee and all I did was put the hose on the bleeder valve, open the bleeder valve and push the brake pedal about 7-10 times slowly or until the fluid is all clear. Then tighten the valve and remove hose. You don't even need anyone watching it really. I had my gf watch just to make sure the hose didn't blow off the valve. Then just monitor the fluid level at the resrvoir like you would otherwise do. I highly recommend this against the pump, hold, release method.

Last edited by jycsalas; 05-26-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Used Mityvac for Brake Bleeding?