Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haunted sunroofs

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haunted sunroofs

Hey everyone! New to this forum

! Has anyone had an issue with your sunroofs randomly opening when you turn on the car? Also I should mention that the actual sunroof buttons don't work, in fact I didnt know my sunroofs where operational till today when they both just popped open and rolled all the way back 😅 any help or insights would be appreciated! Only been an owner for about 3 weeks.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Haunted sunroofs

My 2004 Disco II started doing this about four months ago, except mine just pop up to the vent position and don't (so far) go all the way open. Usually the rear pops, although just last night the front one did it, and usually just one. Pretty sure I remember seeing in another post on here somewhere that the issue most likely traces to the ECU for the sunroofs. For me, since it only happens (again, so far...) when I start the car and all I've had to do is hit the button(s) to re-close it, I haven't even started working this issue yet. Much bigger fish to fry right now...

Old 10-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have had some leaks over time it could be a shorted set of switches/ground.

Time to pull the headliner possibly....

Mine is up for next weekend. Doh!

Old 10-23-2020, 06:40 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Mine has done this I bought the truck, usually the rear only. I cut into the power between the fuse panel and sunroof control module and put an extra cruise control switch in line. it sits in the empty spot below the HDC switch. No power until I switch them on now.

Discovered the problem after resealing both and was still getting water in the headliner.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:08 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine does that , but at random times when’s the cars sitting at home and sometimes driving , only the rear one

Old 10-25-2020, 12:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Mine does not do that. Because removed both gearmotors and taped the glass shut to stop leaks.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:36 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

You are getting power to the motors I'd start simple and replace the switches get them working when they are supposed to and see if the issue continues, you switches dont work but they may be broken inside making connection intermittently

Last edited by baileyrockhound; 10-25-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:13 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, has anyone definitively identified the gremlin causing this issue? I thought I was going crazy for a few weeks until I realized that it happens as I start the truck. For me, a couple of months worth of finding the rear sunroof open in the vent position. Usually, I just close the sunroof once truck starts. And then this weekend, when it was -8F, I started the truck and the front sunroof opens and fully retracts. When I pressed the close button, I heard 3x clicking as if it's still trying to retract.

I limped home, powered off the motor and then let her sit for over 24 hours. The next day, I was then able to turn power on (but not start) and shut the sunroof. Now trying to figure out what I need to do to trace the gremlin and fix her up.

Any advice would be VERY helpful!

Old 01-25-2022, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Sunroof ECU is either wet or the relays are sticking.

The following users liked this post:
Borromeonyc (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 06:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Sunroof ECU is either wet or the relays are sticking.
Time to drop the headliner (again) and make off with the wife's hair dryer. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Haunted sunroofs