Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have you had any luck matching paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have you had any luck matching paint

I have an epsom green 2000 d2. I want to blend my roof and I would like to get some paint matched. a company on ebay has the color listed in and aerosol can. I'm a profession painter so I'm aware of how to paint my car and understand the limitatrions of a spray can. what I want to know is if anyone has had any luck with these colors matching up worth a darn. if I could get a spray can to blend my rooof it would save a lot of hassle of getting out my hvlp guns and doing an entire roof. also its a roof, if it is really close it has to look better than the giant white patch on the roof where the clear is coming off.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Make sure to wet sand the entire roof, especially all the bad clear coat, paint and throw 2 coats of clear coat on the new paint.
As for where to get the paint, especailly in spray cans, can't help you.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Mudding

like I said, I'm good on the technical end of how to paint it, I'm just curious if anyone has purchased any of the custom matched ebay rattle cans. I can go up to the local auto paint store and get a can of base matched, I'm just trying to be lazy...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

The sticker under the hood might list an OEM part number, and then you could just order from an online dealer.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by suzukisam967m
like I said, I'm good on the technical end of how to paint it, I'm just curious if anyone has purchased any of the custom matched ebay rattle cans. I can go up to the local auto paint store and get a can of base matched, I'm just trying to be lazy...
Dont take this the wrong way, but youre telling us you are a professional auto painter and your asking advice on using rattle cans. I think you answered your own question. You're putting in more effort w/ the rattle cans.

Sand it down, tape it off, shoot it, clear it, sand it, buff it!

Have you ever heard of the carpenter who lives in the decrepit house? Dont be that guy!

Last edited by coors; 10-11-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by coors
Dont take this the wrong way, but youre telling us you are a professional auto painter and your asking advice on using rattle cans. I think you answered your own question. You're putting in more effort w/ the rattle cans.

Sand it down, tape it off, shoot it, clear it, sand it, buff it!

Have you ever heard of the carpenter who lives in the decrepit house? Dont be that guy!
okay... not sure if you get it or not.. I can go to the local paint store and order a can of paint mixed from my factory label, which my rover apparently doesn't have, not at least anywhere that anyone says it should be located. it's not on the door and it's not under the hood. but that is no guarantee it will be anywhere close to matching. if you you go to one sherwin williams and buy a can of sw6108 and go to another and buy the same can of sw 6108, and try to touch up your walls it won't work most of the time. thats why my wifes white gold metalic rover is a different color than my friends white gold metalic rover. I couldn't switch a door or it would look like a door off a different car... cause it was. I'm not asking how to paint, I'm asking where anyone has had any luck getting a good color match. I only have a few spots that are bad and i really don't want to do the whole roof if i can avoid it. I'm not looking for a can of krylon, or rust-o-leum there are companies that sell factory colors mixed to specific batch codes and they package that in aerosol cans. I have used them for a lot of aplications. most dealers will sell you one for your ford or lincoln. it's no different than getting a can of ppg base coat and putting it in your hvlp. your just a little more limited on the amount of surface area you can get away with using the small nozzle.

and I am a professional house painter. though I started my career painting cars and have won awards for my work on a few harleys. so I'm not a novice when it comes to auto paint. most of the faux finishes and work I do on houses is a hell of a lot harder than blending out a roof on a rover.. I was merely hoping to find a pretty close factory match available and save the heartache of getting it made... just hoped one of you guys had found a good source for colors

Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

I've not used it, but this should be the factory stuff, assuming that it's epsom green.... I've heard rumors that reds and greens are the hardest to match.

Land Rover Parts - Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories

STC1774VA

Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
I've not used it, but this should be the factory stuff, assuming that it's epsom green.... I've heard rumors that reds and greens are the hardest to match.

Land Rover Parts - Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories

STC1774VA
thank you sir! believe it or not silver is a nightmare too..

Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by suzukisam967m
thank you sir! believe it or not silver is a nightmare too..
I just noticed... I think that dealer is in your town... well kansas anyway.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Mudding

where did you see an address. It says "merriam" which is meriam ks I'm thinking. I'll be in merriam in the morning. that is where aristocrat motors is. so I'm thinking this may be an extension of out local stealership.

Quick Reply: have you had any luck matching paint