Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawkeye or Nanocom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hawkeye or Nanocom?

Looking at getting a little more robust diagnostic tool other than my UG. My indy rover mechanic charges about $100 to do any kind of re-programming and such, so I am considering getting a tool that will allow me to do it myself.

I am mainly interested in the Hawkeye or Nanocom tools. Hawkeyes are about $400 and the Nanocom is just slightly more at $470 with shipping and everything.

Can anyone comment on which one is best?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Well I just programmed and synced a used remote key that I bought off a guy on discoweb with my nanocom, without having to find someone to look up the long barcode... it just needed the 6 digit code inside the remote. I think that's worth the extra $70. It looks like, so far, that the nanocom will do everthing that the hawkeye will do, except maybe do some of the on-off tests, like turning lights on and off or turning fans on and off.... and it will do MOST of them.... maybe all of them if I keep digging... not sure.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Well I just programmed and synced a used remote key that I bought off a guy on discoweb with my nanocom, without having to find someone to look up the long barcode... it just needed the 6 digit code inside the remote. I think that's worth the extra $70. It looks like, so far, that the nanocom will do everthing that the hawkeye will do, except maybe do some of the on-off tests, like turning lights on and off or turning fans on and off.... and it will do MOST of them.... maybe all of them if I keep digging... not sure.
will it reset the odometer and stop it from flashing where did you get yours any special cables or software?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 30more
will it reset the odometer and stop it from flashing where did you get yours any special cables or software?
It looks like it will, I haven't had the chance to test that part yet. Unless you buy used, I think you have to get it from black-box solutions. You order it with licenses and cables base on what you need, so it came complete with obd style cable for a "motronics" D2.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like it will, I haven't had the chance to test that part yet. Unless you buy used, I think you have to get it from black-box solutions. You order it with licenses and cables base on what you need, so it came complete with obd style cable for a "motronics" D2.
So I just tried it with bballjames cluster, and it will sync my higher miles BCU to the lower miles odometer. I couldn't get it to go from the odometer to the BCU. I've heard stories in the past that you can only do that with a "new" BCU. I even tried resetting the "new" flag which is an option... still didn't seem to take the lower miles from the cluster and write them over the higher miles I have on my BCU.

I have another BCU that I think has lower miles on it. I'll see if it will sync to the higher miles odometer.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

I have another BCU that I think has lower miles on it. I'll see if it will sync to the higher miles odometer.
So I tried syncing the lower miles bcu to the odometer, and the odometer stayed at the higher miles. It looks like the system is designed to keep people from lowering the miles, which makes sense, but it does make it a little more difficult to instal used parts. I guess you just have to call around for parts that have LESS miles than your actual mileage, and you can sync everything UP just fine. And there is always still the possibility that I just don't know the correct steps yet.... that "reset new flag" is the puzzling part... it's got to have some purpose.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I tried syncing the lower miles bcu to the odometer, and the odometer stayed at the higher miles. It looks like the system is designed to keep people from lowering the miles, which makes sense, but it does make it a little more difficult to instal used parts. I guess you just have to call around for parts that have LESS miles than your actual mileage, and you can sync everything UP just fine. And there is always still the possibility that I just don't know the correct steps yet.... that "reset new flag" is the puzzling part... it's got to have some purpose.
From what my Indy mechanic said this is correct. It will sync the higher miles of the two...

Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Mudding

thanks for the input it sounds like it will do what I need it to. I think I will get me one and hope I never find out what it can't do!

Old 07-04-2020, 05:37 AM
2nd Gear

Hi Erica, is the NC evo still around? cheers

Old 07-04-2020, 02:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

yes, only can sync the higher mileage of the two so that peeps don't cheat the system....