Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Rear Bumper Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Rear Bumper Options

Hey all,

I am in the market for a HD rear bumper and some sliders. I have been looking around and i like the bumper from RTE but for $1,125.. Tactical rovers has one that looks great but i dont like how they deleted the plastic corner pieces for flat pieces of metal. I saw one installed recently and you can see behind the plate...but for half the price of the RTE might be worth hacking off the metal tabs and fitting the corner pieces (or ask if they can modify it...)

RTE:
http://www.rte-fab.com/products?page...category_id=43

Tactical Rovers:
Land Rover Discovery High Clearance Rear Bumper

Just wanted to see what other people are thinking... who else is out there that makes a quality bumper? I saw a few that i liked only to find out the guy went out of business years ago...

I think the ones that just replace the bumper are useless for off-road, the fender area is where i really want the protection for coming off rocks, ledges, etc. Never hit the bumper...always crunching the fender...

Sliders i don't think you can go wrong on, right? Pretty much all the same design...hoping someone will cut me a deal if a get both from them.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts
Old 07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the link...still waiting on getting my account registration but i started to look around that site...first time browsing there...great site

Whats the deal with Greg Davis, i have seen mixed reviews...mostly long wait times...guy still around?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. That link was him saying he's got two in stock ready to ship. The only down fall is that he ships them unpainted and with the "sliders" not welded on to reduce shipping costs. You'd have to pay someone to weld them on if you don't have a welder.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I like this one. I just ordered it, but it won't be in for another 2 weeks. Its a bit lighter at 4mm than most of the others, but I think 5mm is too heavy for a rear bumper anyway, and this one maintains the stock look pretty well. Plus, its cheap.

http://www.british4x4outfitters.com/...II-P22648.aspx

Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
Personally, I like this one. I just ordered it, but it won't be in for another 2 weeks. Its a bit lighter at 4mm than most of the others, but I think 5mm is too heavy for a rear bumper anyway, and this one maintains the stock look pretty well. Plus, its cheap.

http://www.british4x4outfitters.com/...II-P22648.aspx
That's a britpart bumper. Looks pretty good too. AB sells it too.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DA5646.cfm

Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Yeah, I've been wary of some stuff britpart sells, but this is also sold under the "all-makes" brand and a few others (i've been told terra firma, but I can't confirm, nor do I truly believe it), and I've had good luck with their stuff, so I gave it a whirl. It can't be any worse than the smashed up rear bumper I have now, and its cheaper than a used plastic one anyway. To me, its a win win.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, I've been wary of some stuff britpart sells, but this is also sold under the "all-makes" brand and a few others (i've been told terra firma, but I can't confirm, nor do I truly believe it), and I've had good luck with their stuff, so I gave it a whirl. It can't be any worse than the smashed up rear bumper I have now, and its cheaper than a used plastic one anyway. To me, its a win win.
Yeah you can't beat that price and it does look great...but i really need the protection on the fender...every time i come off a rock/ledge i bash the fender...ripping the passengers side mudflap and plastic trim off this past weekend...i can just see myself coming off a rock hitting it on the rear fender and sending a wrinkle all the way up...

The Greg Davis and Tactical Rover bumpers wrap around the bumper and go to the tire acting as a slider for the rear.

Still waiting on my registration to go through on discoweb...i could buy a hand gun in less time...sadly... but i will definitely be checking his bumper out, looks good from other pics i see and i think its a good idea to send with-out paint so i can easily match touch it up paint...welding isnt an issue but im not sure i understand what needs to be welded...once i get the link i probably will figure it out.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the britpart one I got from rovers north and love it. I don't care much for fender protection(I try to stay on things I know won't damage my vehicle without user error).

Terrafirma also has a rear bumper that RN sells Rovers North - The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts - REAR HEAVY DUTY BUMPER DISCOVERY II
Looks nice, just pricier than the britpart.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

thats a nice look bumper for the price, look like it comes thru with tow hooks too.

Quick Reply: HD Rear Bumper Options