Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head gasket?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket?????

Hello all,

my 99 disco 2 is losing water, the water is going into the oil.....HEAD GASKET???? or can it be something else I need to check?

Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: head gasket?????

Did your vehicle overheat badly ? When the Land Rover V-8 loses one or both head gaskets, they normally blow to the outside of the block -- with very little coolant finding its way into the oil pan. If you have a lot of coolant in the oil (a light "mocha" color to the oil) then there is a chance you cracked the block by a severe overheating episode.

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Drifting

I have an '03 Discovery with 76k miles on it. A few weeks back I had the check engine light come on and a stumble on start up. Was told the block had cracked at #6 after I did the head gaskets. (This on a truck that had never needed anything other than regular maintenence.) I decided to hold off on the $8.5k replacement engine in favor of trying the K &W block sealant, supposed to work on head gaskets as well. I have done the job and it seems to be holding up. Before I would lose about a pint out the overflow when driving to work. Now there is no coolant loss on a 20 minute run. You may want to try that first.

Unfortunately I must have gotten coolant or water some place I shouldn't because the truck was difficult to resart after sitting overnight. There is now a "singing" #9 relay. Rapping on it seemed to help, but now the truck starts runs for a short time (relay quiet), then the singing starts and the engine dies, cannot restart. I thought it was a bad relay, but when I swapped the #8 relay, the singing started with the other relay as well!! Any thoughts???

kevin

Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Mudding

how hard was the K&w sealent to do??.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Mudding

did you have water in your oil??

Old 03-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no shortcuts when dealing with these vehicles. Adding a sealing agent is not going to cure your problem. Read my tech info section at www.eurotekapg.comdealing with the powertrain. And get prepared to replace the head gaskets (I offer a very complete kit at a very good price) or if you are less fortunate, you may need a replacement engine for the reasons I stated im my earlier post.

Call anytime if you'd like more details.

regards.
Geoman
925-335-2669

eurotek apg

Old 03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: geoman

There are no shortcuts when dealing with these vehicles. Adding a sealing agent is not going to cure your problem. Read my tech info section at www.eurotekapg.comdealing with the powertrain. And get prepared to replace the head gaskets (I offer a very complete kit at a very good price) or if you are less fortunate, you may need a replacement engine for the reasons I stated im my earlier post.

Call anytime if you'd like more details.

regards.
Geoman
925-335-2669

eurotek apg
He's right. That garbage will clog your radiator for sure! FACT

Old 03-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You have now heard it a few times, it won't work. If your engine won't turn over maybe because of coolant in one cylinder, the engine is dead.

Kevin,
How was it determined that your block cracked at the number 6 cylinder?

Mike

Old 03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Mike:

Dealer said first it was a head gasket and then saw coolant in #6 and said liner had a hairline crack. This truck has had ZERO problems until this one. Simply don't have $9k for a new motor w/ 3 college tuitions at the moment. The CRC people were emphatic that the problem of clogged radiators, etc. stem from not getting ALL of the antifreeze out. It must be absolutely clear water before the stuff is put in and the drained completely (clear water again). So far it has held up (went from a pint of loss to none). As to how long this works, I doubt it wll last through the tuition bills.
Now of course I managed to get some water someplace it shouldn't be because it stalls after driving for about 20 minutes with a noisy relay.

Kevin

Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Mudding

Kevin,

what product did you use???

Quick Reply: head gasket?????