Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Job!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Head Gasket Job!

Hi there,
I have a 2003 Discovery II SE with 130,000 miles on it. I have oil and coolant leak at the same time!!! Well, the good news is that when I took it to the shop, they told me that it is leaking from the head gasket and it needs to be replaced! Two for one!!! And that's the bad news too!!! $2,000 including parts and stuff! They also need to do the spark plugs and thermostat they said. Is that true?
So I am shopping for the parts but here is my question: what exactly do I need to provide them with so I can reduce my total bill? Here is what I have in my shopping cart with AB:
- $170 - Head Gasket Set Bosch (how do I know which engine I have???). Btw, he quoted me $342 just for this part alone.
- $18 - Thermostat
- $80 - Head Bolt Kit
- $48 - 8 Bosch +4 spark plugs
- $32 - Belt. I figured, while they're at it, why not?

I will provide them with Mobil 1 High Mileage w/ Coopers filter I got from AB. Is this filter any good?

What else do I need to get??? Am I getting screwed for $2,000 (if they supply the parts?). Since I will be supplying the parts, I am hoping that I can save at least, $400-$500!

Thank you guys.

Bob

Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a Bosch engine.
$2K sounds about right.
You can shop around for parts, www.ptschram.com, http://www.roverparts.com/, http://www.dap-inc.com/ to name a few.
PT has the best price for head gaskets + bolts.
Replace the thermostat. Also get a set of new spark plug wires at www.kingsborne.com, get the 8mm wire set. You can go with cheaper spark plugs, those expensive Bosch plugs do nothing better than the regular plugs.
You also need the valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets (lower and upper) and exhaust manifold gaskets, the AB head gasket kit has everything in plus more, including valve stem seals.
Get a Mobil 1 301 oil filter all Walmart, or any auto parts store ... if you do not have a filter.
Btw it is about $550 to do it all yourself.

Last edited by Bundu; 09-20-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Thank you very much for the reply. I will look at those websites.
Unfortunately I can only do the simple oil/filter/spark plug/O2 sensor changes myself. I think I know my capabilities and this is one of those things that it would be better done by a professional!!! And I read in the forum that it took someone 32 hrs and another one 40 hrs!
So, if there is nothing else to add to the list, I'm gonna go shopping!!!
Bob

Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by baburhan
Hi there,
I have a 2003 Discovery II SE with 130,000 miles on it. I have oil and coolant leak at the same time!!! Well, the good news is that when I took it to the shop, they told me that it is leaking from the head gasket and it needs to be replaced! Two for one!!! And that's the bad news too!!! $2,000 including parts and stuff! They also need to do the spark plugs and thermostat they said. Is that true?
So I am shopping for the parts but here is my question: what exactly do I need to provide them with so I can reduce my total bill? Here is what I have in my shopping cart with AB:
- $170 - Head Gasket Set Bosch (how do I know which engine I have???). Btw, he quoted me $342 just for this part alone.
- $18 - Thermostat
- $80 - Head Bolt Kit

I will provide them with Mobil 1 High Mileage w/ Coopers filter I got from AB. Is this filter any good?

What else do I need to get??? Am I getting screwed for $2,000 (if they supply the parts?). Since I will be supplying the parts, I am hoping that I can save at least, $400-$500!

Thank you guys.

Bob
Unless prices have changed since last month (I did all of these as well) this was the best I found after shopping:

entire Gastket set: $169 - AB for set w/out bolts best price
T-stat: $19.95 - AB since ship was combined
Head bolts: $49.55 (including shipped) Rovers North
*if you don't need all of the gaskets, pt has a better combo
Bosch Plat +4's: $39.98 - Rock Auto. Use Bosch $1 per plug rebate to get total down to $31 shipped.
Magnecor 8mm wires: $95.65 shipped - Apex Performance

These were the best I could find for these specific parts, of course there's much debate on types of plugs and wires.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Awesome! Thank you. Your help is truly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I disagree with Bundu on a few things... if you supply the parts it should be a $1200 job. Get the kit from Atlantic British with the new head bolts and a thermostat. If you want it would be a good time to install magnecor 8mm wires from Apexperformance.net and some bosch +4 plat plugs.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Banned

$35.87 for a set of Kingsborne wires vs $95.65 for Magnecor

Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by baburhan
Hi there,
- $18 - Thermostat
- $80 - Head Bolt Kit

Thank you guys.

Bob

Is this shop going to check the heads while they're off (magnaflux, pressure test, vacuum test) and are they going to pressure test the block? Make sure they use every last seal, washer, etc, that comes with the head gasket kit. Get your moneys worth. Is this shop familiar with Land Rovers?

Eric

Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Drifting

I know there is quite a bit of debate about the plugs but when I plug in LR Disco II into any of these websites, Bosch +4 never comes up as one of the approved spark plugs for a 2003 Disco. What is the reason behind the recommendation or is it those websites???

Old 09-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Eric,

These are great questions and I will ask the mechanic. These guys work on high end cars usually. They are new to me. They were highly recommended.

Bob

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Job!