Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket and junk

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket and junk

Well, I just drove across the country, and I noticed that there was a LOT of crap building up on my engine. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, and my mechanic says that it's getting a complete rebuild from the bottom up. Here's some pics to show the work.

and a close up of the sludge

ETA: Pikes Peak Rovers in Colorado Springs is the shop I'm using.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to spend some money at the nearest hot-water do-it-yourself car wash buddy. Take a roll (or 3) of quarters, a couple of cans of engine degreaser, and some saran wrap (to put over the fuse box and electronic parts under the hood) and give your baby a good once over. While you are there you might as well go ahead and wash the under body too. Not only does it show your rover that you care but it allows you to see where this gunk is coming from and spot any potential leaks early.
Enjoy! -this is never a fun task in feburary...

Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't seen a head that pretty since I climbed out of bed this morning and looked in the mirror!!
nice - ditto on the pressure wash tho'

luck,greg

Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Drifting

That was what it looked like this afternoon. I'll post up some pictures of what it looks like after it gets completed. Like I said, I'm not a trained mechanic. I'm lucky to have helpful people that I can trust on my side, or rather on the side of my Disco.

A couple of months ago I took it to a dealership on the east coast, and the advice they gave me (come to find out) was contrary to ...... well, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have driven it across the country.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
4wd Low

That has to be the dirtiest engine I have ever seen! Hope she runs like new after all is said and done!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

After the mechanic gets done, keep it clean. You don't want to use any chemicals, just take it to the car wash once a month and rinse it off with the sprayer. Of course, make sure the engine is cold, but this will make it easier to work on in the future. Your engine bay looks horrid.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much is this "complete rebuild from the bottom up" going to run you? And can you list what exactly they did once the job's complete?

And Yeeeesh! X10 on the engine wash pal

Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Drifting

ok, I get it... the engine is gross.

Yeah, it gets picked up this afternoon. Full report to follow.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just ribbin' you... Some of us take it way too far. But, if you do wash it every now and then, it runs a little cooler and you can stay on top of leaks and drips..

Let us know what all you are having done.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Drifting

**UPDATE**

Here's the parts list from just the head gasket job:

Head gaskets kit
intake gasket
intake end seal
valve cover gasket
head bolts, short
head bolts, long
exhaust manifold gasket
valve cover screws, short
valve cover screws, long
Oil Filter
10W30 Oil
Bosch Drain plug washer
coolant
exhaust nuts
exhaust studs
Bosch Spark Plugs

Sublet Valve Job: I saw the little invoice for this, and it went to McCabe Motorsports. I've never heard of them, but the valves look great.

The other thing that is getting done tonight is that the Steering Gear box is getting rebuilt. I don't know much about this, but the rebuild is less expensive than a new one, and the mechanic has a warranty in writing.

The mechanic is Pikes Peak Rovers in C Springs, CO. I'll keep saying it, but I don't know much about mechanic-ing, but Wil (from PPRovers) has made me feel extremely comfortable about the services he's providing, and the Stealership here actually sent me to him. (that also says a lot about the place)...

Here's a 'midway' pic of the rebuild.... yes it got all cleaned up.....

Quick Reply: Head Gasket and junk