Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Replaced---Now idle is off

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Replaced---Now idle is off

A mechanic just replaced the head gasket and now the engine isn't idling properly. I wonder if there is a misfire in one of the cylinders. It was fine before. I'll be speaking with him on Monday. I would just like to get an idea of what might have caused the issue before speaking with him. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you be more specific? Will it continue running? Does it die or just have high/low idle?

Old 11-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Overlanding

I guess it idles fine, but not smoothly. The head gasket was replaced and when I picked it up the mechanic mentioned a slight misfire in one of the cylinders. He said to keep an eye on it. I didn't think much of it, because I hadn't noticed anything. I figured it was something his equipment was picking up. I paid the mechanic, but left the car there until I could pick it up today. So, I never started it when I paid for the service. Today as soon as it started I could tell something was up. It seemed like the engine was rattling a bit and when I stepped on the gas the exhaust had a gurgle to it. I just shut it off and left there. Is something with the head gasket service causing this? Just seems too likely of a coincidence for it to not be.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

What did you pay?
What did they exactly replace?

Is the mechanic a LandRover mechanic - meaning - there are lots of Landrovers outside?

Or, this guy just says he can fix the rover?

--
What were the symptoms going into the garage??

Same as now?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

A misfire will not cause an idle like you are describing, if your check engine light is on go get the codes read at a local parts store and get back to us with all the fault code numbers.
By the way, how did you pay for this, were the heads reworked and what did you pay?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Overlanding

Head gasket replaced due to a major coolant leak out of the engine block. There were no idle/firing issues before I took it in. He's an independent Rover mechanic who was recommended to me by another Rover owner. Many different Rovers outside his shop. I paid 1800 for the service. The heads where sent to a machine shop.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, if you did not have a misfire before you had him work on it, then this should not have been given back to you nor should you have to pay for it to be fixed.
Monday, if he does not take full responsibility in fixing it and if you paid by credit card, you should have your bank hold his payment.
Let us know what he finds.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Overlanding

Update.

He said it was a coil that must have broken when they were fixing the gaskets. They fixed it at no charge and it's running fine.

So, I also had the three amigos and asked him to check it. Said it was the front wheel speed sensor. He replaced the speed sensor. I drive down the road and hear a chime. The typical chime of when the three amigos goes off. I look down at my dash and none of the lights are on. When I'm home I put the ignition in to position two and notice the abs light, traction control and downhill decent lights aren't lit. In position two they should stay on for a few seconds and then shut off. My first thought is he disconnected something. Not sure what that would be. I drove back the next day and spoke with him about it. He said to bring it in on Monday. That it could be a fuse or something when they fixed the wheel sensor. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but my patience is running thin. Also, how many speed sensors are there? Is there one for each wheel?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Maybe he painted over the lights...

Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Well - the good news is -
The Major Problem with the Head Gaskets is fixed.
And, the coils mis fires is fixed.

Be happy man.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Replaced---Now idle is off