Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gaskets... to fix or not to fix??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gaskets... to fix or not to fix??

I have a 2001 SE7 with 110,800 mi on it. I am only the second owner and had it for about 9 months.

I am planning on selling the Disco as soon as possible, I have a baby on the way and not looking to pursue my Disco fever anymore.

Head gaskets are leaking torward the rear of the head(s) so I m debating on wether or not to go ahead and fix them first or sell as is. I could do the work myself but it may make more sense for me to sell as is depending on the situation/buyer.

Only other "big" thing is the rear bags leak; I was planning on going with springs. Truck is in really good shape overall.

What is a good price either way? I am in Austin, Texas

Thanks!
Luke

Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Without doing the gaskets look at a max price of $1500.
I wouldnt buy a truck with bad headgaskets, I would question why they didnt fix it themselves, what else is wrong with it? Is the engine bad? There must be a reason they did not have them replaced.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Overlanding

engine is fine, runs great. not blown head gaskets like coolant in the oil, blown head gaskets like a little coolant leaking from the rear of the head/block. just trying to see if it is worth it to drop the $500 on parts to do the head job myself before selling it, or figured i may find an enthusiast that was ready to do the work themselves so i did not have to. i got a really good deal on the rig and not trying to make a killing, just need to get rid of it. truck is in great shape

Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lsmit605
engine is fine, runs great. not blown head gaskets like coolant in the oil, blown head gaskets like a little coolant leaking from the rear of the head/block. just trying to see if it is worth it to drop the $500 on parts to do the head job myself before selling it, or figured i may find an enthusiast that was ready to do the work themselves so i did not have to. i got a really good deal on the rig and not trying to make a killing, just need to get rid of it. truck is in great shape
I don't think you understand what Spike is saying: if the truck appears to need head gaskets when it is for sale, there is no guarantee that HGs are the end of it. Or that the heads aren't cracked. Or have been decked so far that they can't be decked again. Or that a million other things won't go wrong with the job.

Things are sold in apparently good condition for a fair price, or sold broken for pennies on the dollar. That's how this works. It's how its always worked. And, as I like to say on these boards: THIS IS NOT ROVER SPECIFIC.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Team Owner

Would not matter to me, small leak or big leak, I wouldnt even consider it.
And with gas prices the way they are, who is going to buy a 12mpg SUV that needs a ton of work?
I'm just giving you my opinion and what I would do if I were in the market for a SUV.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Overlanding

Makes sense to me...duly noted. I will order a head gasket set and get them replaced. Are the Bosch sets from AB good quality? Thanks

Old 05-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Winching

wet from the top rear of the engine? you sure it's not oil and just needs a tightening up of the valve cover gasket bolts?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the throttle body heater as well, leaks from it run down the back of the heads as well.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Overlanding

Positive, pressure tested the system and can spot it bubbling out between the head and block. Truck has 110k on it and the hg have not been done, to my knowledge. Bosch a good set??

Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Team Owner

Yes the sets sold from AB are decent, you will also need new head bolts.

Quick Reply: Head Gaskets... to fix or not to fix??