Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headliner

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headliner

i noticed the other day that i have a few spots in my headliner where it is starting to droop down. i read in some post a while ago that the best thing is to have the whole thing replaced but i want a second opinion since the areas that i have are fairly small ( about the size of a baseball ). any suggestions or ideas ?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:02 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: headliner

If it is only the material you can use a syringe to inject some glue behind it and press it back into place.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Drifting

You pretty much have to change the whole thing.
The foam backing on the fabric dry rots and the whole thing will pull off eventually.
I had a local trim shop replace mne for around $250. Looks good as new.

You can use glue or thumbtacks as a temporary measure.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Mudding

What kind of glue should I use..I have a really small area thats loose, I was going to use the gluing method.

Thnaks
Ralph

www.ralphduke.com

Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you get to the back of it? If so, peel it back and get some adhesive spray. Made by 3M I think it is 70 something??? If it is in the middle, you will have to use a syringe to shoot it in. This still may not work.

The reason it is sagging is the foam backing on the mateial is shot, so you will still be gluing to crappy foam....

I did mine ( no sunroofs) in just under 3 hours. I had never done one before...

Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

Can you get to the back of it? If so, peel it back and get some adhesive spray. Made by 3M I think it is 70 something??? If it is in the middle, you will have to use a syringe to shoot it in. This still may not work.

The reason it is sagging is the foam backing on the mateial is shot, so you will still be gluing to crappy foam....

I did mine ( no sunroofs) in just under 3 hours. I had never done one before...
the glue you are referring to is a 3M glue called "spray77". i sell it to construction companies who need to make a surface tacky to adhere stuff. its good stuff and a little goes a long way.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, that's it. To the OP _ just make sure you spray it on the fabric and the backer. Then press together.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was coming down by the windshield in front of the sun visor..
Some headliner adhesive did the trick..

Old 02-10-2009, 06:49 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If itsnot a hugeareayou can use those tiny wall pins to hold it in place, they kind of look like needles with tiny heads.Ipushed two in 2 years ago (in two different spots)and its holding it perfectly still to this day. Because to be honest with you, in not willing to put in $250 bucks to fix something that can be held up by .$02 pins. No one notices them and they wont fall out.

Obviously this is a temp. fix to something that will eventually get worse, but heck, its money in my pocket. For now.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Mudding

Don't inject glue. I've done this and I just kicked myself when I saw what I've done.
It left dark splotches of glue residue on the headliner, the glue should be clear when it dries up but instead it left dark dots (maybe it attracted dirt or it darkened the color of the liner) It also feels bumpy, globs of hardened glue in the foam.
The best way is to peel of the head liner (the most difficult part) and spray 3M adhesive spray. HTH

Quick Reply: headliner