Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headliner is out

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default headliner is out

Ok.. headliner came out without an issue. Nothing broken as far as trim parts go. I do have broken drain tubes and leaky ones in the rear. Where else can these leak from up there? I want to pull of anything and reseal it before I reinstall the fresh covered headliner.. leaking or not. Trying to.be preventative you know

Old 03-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroone
Ok.. headliner came out without an issue. Nothing broken as far as trim parts go. I do have broken drain tubes and leaky ones in the rear. Where else can these leak from up there? I want to pull of anything and reseal it before I reinstall the fresh covered headliner.. leaking or not. Trying to.be preventative you know
Hi Zeroone, There is an article in Landrover Monthly April 2014 on that exact subject with a great detailed fix for leaky sunroofs and broken drain tubes. The main point of leaks besides the drain tubes is the frame seal to the roof structure. It requires removing the sunroof lower frame first and then the outer/upper frame. Clean all of the old crud and mastic off then reseal with auto/marine mastic. With the headliner already removed you are halfway there. It's worth doing the tubes and frame seal as they wont leak again in the lifetime of the D2. Every D2 with sunroofs suffers leaks once it's 8-10 years old and LR know about it and even have a technical article on the problems but have never admitted it as a technical defect or recall. Even D3 and L322 sunroofs leak. Good luck with the repairs.

http://downmagaz.com/car_magazine_mo...pril-2014.html

Land Rover Monthly - April 2014 » PDF Magazines - Download Free Digital Magazines in PDF Format for iPad, Android Tablets and PC

PS. If you google................ Discovery 2 leaking sunroof fix................there is lots of info about this subject.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 03-29-2014 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
akapeller (12-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Winching

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for that.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with your headliner job! I hope every turns out real nice. I did it and it was a PITA; I was trying to put up some giraffe print but ultimately had given up.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Winching

Thanks dane. I'm not going for anything crazy. Just want it the way it is supposed to be. I cannot stand when things on my vehicles do not work. The sunroofs have been aggravating me since the first 50* day we had here. Water ingress is another no no. Makes the car smell. I have a flat coat retriever.. she smell bad enough when she gets wet. I don't like the smell of wet carpet and leather. Lol

Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2 on that, never rains here though. so I couldn't tell you if mine was leaking or not

Old 03-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Winching

So because it's raining like hell here.. I figured I would install the "new" sunroof motor in the rear on my dinner break. Sat in the back seat for 10 minutes.. my *** is soaked and I am out of uniform pants until monday. Roof racks are leaking. Lol. I love my disco. It makes me laugh.

On On a second note.. is there any reason the sunroof would move slowly? Front one scoots. Rear one is slow. Lubricate the tracks maybe?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi Zeroone, There is an article in Landrover Monthly April 2014 on that exact subject with a great detailed fix for leaky sunroofs and broken drain tubes. The main point of leaks besides the drain tubes is the frame seal to the roof structure. It requires removing the sunroof lower frame first and then the outer/upper frame. Clean all of the old crud and mastic off then reseal with auto/marine mastic. With the headliner already removed you are halfway there. It's worth doing the tubes and frame seal as they wont leak again in the lifetime of the D2. Every D2 with sunroofs suffers leaks once it's 8-10 years old and LR know about it and even have a technical article on the problems but have never admitted it as a technical defect or recall. Even D3 and L322 sunroofs leak. Good luck with the repairs.

Land Rover Monthly - April 2014

Land Rover Monthly - April 2014 » PDF Magazines - Download Free Digital Magazines in PDF Format for iPad, Android Tablets and PC

PS. If you google................ Discovery 2 leaking sunroof fix................there is lots of info about this subject.
downloaded, saved, and read, twice. that is the most comprehensive write up i have seen. thank you again for sharing it with me. i will be ordering new seals as soon as i find them. neither roof assembly is leaking at the moment, as i have temporarily reconnected the drain tubes. removal of the sunroof assemblies and roof racks will also allow me to do a more thorough buff and wax on the roof.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Zeroone, C'est avec plaisir, ne le mentionne. Bonne Chance

Old 03-30-2014, 04:16 PM
Winching

Quick Reply: headliner is out