Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner Replacement

I took out my headliner thanks to the very helpful write-up by hilltoppersx. I was looking for a headliner to replace it with and found a website called headliner express. They have one pre-cut for $118. Has anyone bought one for them or where have others gotten theirs from?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Three Wheeling

I'd be interested in hearing an opinion on this as well. Also, if I were to have a local upholstery place redo the headliner, would I need to remove the headboard myself? It seems like quite the process.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM
4th Gear

I had the headliner replaced in my 03 by a local shop. $200 and they removed the old headliner, replaced it. Took 'em six hours, and boy, did they complain but they stuck to the price quoted and the new headliner looks great.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CaptainCulp
I'd be interested in hearing an opinion on this as well. Also, if I were to have a local upholstery place redo the headliner, would I need to remove the headboard myself? It seems like quite the process.
I removed my headliner my self to try to save some money. There is a great write up by hilltoppersx and it only took me ~2hrs. Now I just need to figure out if it is worth it to order one and install it myself or take it to a shop to have it installed.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM
7th Gear
Default Headliner Express

Hi Jalodge -

I'm not seeing any pre-cut headliner boards on the HX site - did you call them and get this info?

- crumpsc

Old 09-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Not completely pre-cut but designed to fit a D2.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:54 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jalodge
Not completely pre-cut but designed to fit a D2.
Ah - ok. Maybe I'm just overlooking it. Will give them a call - thanks, and best of luck with yours.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Mudding

So this is just my opinion take it for what its worth. I redid my wifes, and I'll be doing mine and my bros soon. But I would never spend that kind of money on a "pre-cut" headliner. your headliner will be the same width as most materials available at Joann's or whatever retail fabric shop in your area. There are so may beautiful fabrics out there. faux suede, fur, plaidand other more plain stuff, you can get for so much cheaper. The one bit of advice I can give you is buy the good 3m spray adhesive from home depot or wherever you get it. the cheap stuff will come down. ask me how I know!

Most of us rover guys are going to keep them till tere dead, because of all the work we put into them. make it what you want. Also if your dead set on a factory style headliner, joann and other local shops in the Kansas city area carry it on the shelf, so I'm sure wherever you are they do too. and it runs like $15 per yard, and you have color options...

This is my wifes white gold metalic rover with the grey interior
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The lines and roughed up fur are from the material being folded for a long time, it has relaxed sonce these pics were taken.It really looks good in her car and everyone who sees it loves it. Even guys who try to act all macho about a furry headliner end up saying "Honestly dude that IS really cool".. This isn't my style. I'm going to do a faux suede that matches the piping on my seats... anyway hope any of this helps.. oh and there are so many little cuts to make, having it "Pre-cut" I think would make it harder. I have done healiners profesionally, if anyone would like help with these you can pm me and I'll give you my phone number. or pm me yours and I'll call you. I always love to help a fellow rover owner out.

Last edited by suzukisam967m; 09-22-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:45 AM
7th Gear

@ SuzukiSam -

I'll mention this in this post, although I have another one floating out there. You're referencing the fabric as pre-cut. Am I misunderstanding what's available out there with online resellers? I am interested in actually replacing the headliner board (in addition to fabric) myself.

Are you aware of online vendors who actually sell the board that fits appropriately - aftermarket? Or is this something that I'm stuck with (the board behind fabric in my Disco II is completely out of shape starting mid-cabin and moving back towards rear of vehicle).

Sorry Jalodge - certainly not trying to hijack your thread - just trying to understand what, if any, option I have for more than just a fabric overhaul.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling

I was under the impression that D2's need a wider piece of material than others so that is why I was looking at the one from Headliner Express.

Quick Reply: Headliner Replacement