Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heartbreak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:45 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

Looks like you have a tough dilemma.

Consider what you paid for the vehicle as sunk cost. No use fretting or worrying about it. Just consider the impact on your future financial situation if you were to either sell or fix the vehicle (aka "opportunty cost"... sorry for sounding like an MBA)....

Option 1: Fix the existing vehicle
1) You have a major cooling issue. Possibly need new radiator, thermostat, etc. My estimate is $1,000 for parts and labor.
2) You have need to change the head gasket and new engine block. I recommend that you do not simply replace it with another engine from a scrapped vehicle. You may encounter the same issue due to the inherent design flaw on the sleeves in the engine. My recommendation is to get a replacement engine which top-hatted sleeves. A brand new engine costs $6,000+ plus another $2,000 labor if you cannot do the install yourself.

Option 2: What opportunities exist if you were to sell the Disco as is? (aka opportunity cost)?
1) You will not be out the $9K to $10K minumum to get the current Disco into a reliable condition?
2) What opportunity exist if you sell the Disco in its current state? I am thinking you will only get $1K to $2K for a 2003 Disco (i.e., engine with knock, cooling issues, notorious oil pump failure potential, no CDL).
3) You could always part it out if you have some mechanical skills and get more that $2K for it. Your problem is you still need another reliable daily driver in the meantime.

You are looking at a situation of having to spend $9K to $10K minimum on fixing the current Rover + selling it for $1K to $2K. This means you will likely need to find $7K to $9K to get yourself into a vehicle with more reliability (either in the current Disco, new Disco or another more reliable non-Disco).

I am not familiar with your present financial situation. Please factor in that you will may need to have some $ reserves for unexpected repairs for any car. I hope the feedback which I have presented will help you with your difficult decision.

P/S. Make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection from a knowledgeable and trusted source before you buy a new vehicle.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

You bought an 10 year old car widely regarded as having head gasket problems at 90k from a used car dealer. I'm sure you didn't take it to a land Rover guy to check it out before you bought it. Then you drive it and overheat it a few more times. Now once everything is over and done and you have lost as much money as possible, you go on a Internet forum looking for solutions from complete strangers. That being said. You could put a set of headgaskets on it, fill it with blue devil, and put an inline thermostat on it. It may be OK and allow you to continue making bad life decisions.

Last edited by RoverMasterTech; 05-04-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Traviss
Just bought my Land Rover Disco 2003 SE7 from M and I motors near Chicago in Aug. of 2013 88,000 miles on it from Kentucky. I started noticing over heating, and a loud ticking noise when idoling. I took it to my local land rover dealer in Wisconsin, he tested it and said there where many problems with the engine... Thermostat stuck closed, exhaust gas leaking into cooling system, warn out oil pump, dropped cylinder sleve inside engine block, bad valves, and piston problems. I don't know what to do I still owe $7,000 on it, the mechanic said I need a new engine, and estimated the cost with labor at $14,000.00. I can't believe there are this many problems with the engine, I only put 6,000 miles on it since I have owned it, and did everything by the book. What should I do? Travis
How long have you owned the truck? did it have any warranty with it? can you go back to the dealer and get them to fix the issues even if you pay a (small) percentage. It's worth a try, nothing ventured nothing gained. Is there a consumer rights organisation in the US?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
You bought an 10 year old car widely regarded as having head gasket problems at 90k from a used car dealer. I'm sure you didn't take it to a land Rover guy to check it out before you bought it. Then you drive it and overheat it a few more times. Now once everything is over and done and you have lost as much money as possible, you go on a Internet forum looking for solutions from complete strangers. That being said. You could put a set of headgaskets on it, fill it with blue devil, and put an inline thermostat on it. It may be OK and allow you to continue making bad life decisions.

chill tf out. We have all made our fair share of bad choices, don't kick a guy while he's down.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To RoverMaster Tech:

Who pee'd in your cornflakes? Dude, and I suspect you walk on water, make the blind see, and bring the dead back to life? Just chill man....just chill. Got to go with Dane on this one also....don't kick a guy while he's down.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane!
chill tf out. We have all made our fair share of bad choices, don't kick a guy while he's down.
+1..................quote: "he who never made a mistake never did anything".

I've made some expensive '**** ups' in my life and will probably make some more yet.......that's life.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
How long have you owned the truck? did it have any warranty with it? can you go back to the dealer and get them to fix the issues even if you pay a (small) percentage. It's worth a try, nothing ventured nothing gained. Is there a consumer rights organisation in the US?
Looks like he bought it about 9 months ago. Not too many used car lots offer an extended warranty. Maybe had all this happened in the first month he ~might~ have recourse. But we all know how many things can break in 9 months, especially on a Rover.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I had mine for years before I went through the same issue. It was paid off, but still hard to deal with. Go back to who sold it to you and see if there is anything they can or will do for you. Maybe cut you a break on labor for the fix.

Your best option for fixing is to buy a long block with top hatted liners and any other upgrade you may want. Cheapest is to find a used engine.

Good luck and sorry you are having to face this.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have 3 choices :

Sell it as-is

Install a re-conditioned engine. There are a couple of places who sell 4.6s fully reconditioned with the liners top-hatted so you won't have any trouble ever again. The vehicle will probably be good for another 100,000 miles. Cost about $7000 with installation.

Lastly, fix it yourself. This would be an excellent learning experience. You'll probably need another car while you do it, this could take a few months.

Last edited by MarkSF; 05-05-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

walk away let the bank repo it, you owe more than it worth and your just going to get deeper. you can buy 04 for $5000.