Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat blows cold at idle but normal when driving?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes that is the correct coolant, the "X" inside the coolant resevoir needs to be under water.
After you add coolant you will need to drive it for a day and then check it again, keep doing this until you no longer need to add coolant.
Then on your once a week check of the under hood fluid levels make sure that you also check the coolant level, once a week, same time you check the oil and power steering fluid., once a week, I do it every Sunday before church.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why couldn't i just fill the coolant all the way up, curious?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

Because you need room for expansion, to much coolant and you can split your resevoir in half.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Mudding

that 50/50 PRESTONE coolant i just bought is NOT green, its clear. Is that OK?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't discount your head gasket leak just because it is so small. The truck is giving you warning that a failure is going to occur and the sooner it is fixed the better. Your head gasket could keep leaking slowly for a long time or it could blow right away. Take care of it as soon as possible before it becomes a bigger issue.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Viking, the coolant you got is fine. That is what I put into mine. It is for everything, all colors.

You need to check it every day and keep your eyes on the temp gauge. Do a search for the bleed. It is not the same thing as a flush. The cooling systems on these things are sealed, so you can see coolant in the reservoir, but still not be full in the system.

This is a common problem, and I think you already have found that your head gasket is leaking. You need to fix this problem, and stay on top of it until you do. It only takes one time to overheat, and you engine is toast. It is really serious

Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Mudding

I would definitely change the head gasket but the shop wants $1500 which is not worth it, unless someone can tell me that this is a pretty easy job

Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Team Owner

$1500 IS worth it, $7000 for a new engine, so the choice is up to you.
$1500 is a fair price to replace both head gaskets.
Is the truck paid for? If not do you want to be making payments on a truck you cant drive when the engine is toasted?
If it is paid for then headgaskets is a hell of alot cheaper than a new car.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

$1500 is what I paid to have my head gaskets done when they were just starting to leak like yours are. It hurt a little bit when I handed the mechanic my credit card to pay for the work but once the sting goes away you will realize how worth it it really is. Not having to worry about your head gasket blowing at any second is priceless.

Like Spike said, it's $1500 for new head gaskets or $7000 for a new engine when the head gaskets blow and cause the engine to overheat. You can get a used engine for less but you'll probably be right back in the same position of it needing head gaskets so you'll end up paying for a used engine and head gaskets.

Replacing the head gaskets is not difficult if you are mechanically inclined and have the right tools. It will take quite a bit of time to do the head gaskets yourself so you need to figure that in also. My truck was in the shop for 4 days when I had my head gaskets done by a mechanic that specializes in Land Rovers. If you decide to do the head gaskets yourself make sure to get new head bolts. The bolts are designed to stretch and can not be reused.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Mudding

does anyone have a DIY for head gaskets or some pics?

Quick Reply: Heat blows cold at idle but normal when driving?