Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heaven on Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:28 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heaven on Wheels

Hello!

I joined / posted some questions back in October about buying a Disco, and though I still haven't, I am getting much closer!

I just wanted to pop in and say that I test drove a Disco for the first time yesterday, and it was amazing. It was a 2000 with 110,000 miles. It had some problems, but drove simply amazingly. I thought the vision was good from the Cherokee... from the Land Rover it was much better! And it was SO comfortable! I felt like a king driving it, and my wife LOVED it.

Here are a few observations though:

1) There was a lot of play in the steering wheel- about 1.5 inches either way from center before it would begin changing direction. Is this normal? I doubt it is, and I will soon be driving another, but anyway...

2) When going any speed, if you let off the gas, and then push it back down again- not hard or anything, just enough to maintain speed, you can hear a 'clunk' noise from underneath the vehicle. It was pretty loud, and I'm wondering if this is normal.

3) At low speed, the engine makes a very loud 'sucking' noise. When you first push on the gas you hear it. I'm not sure how better to describe it... it almost sounds 'cool' at very first, as though the sounds makes it seem more powerful, but it quickly got annoying and made me feel like I was working the vehicle too hard. Is that normal?

4) At cruising speeds of around 40mph-50mph, the vehicle felt like it had VERY little power when you 'gunned' it to get it up to freeway speeds, ie, 70mph. In that sense, it felt very sluggish and weak. Is this normal?

Even if all these things ARE normal, I still want one... it was such a great driving vehicle. I LOVED how stiff it is into rough roads and bumps... such a GREAT ride!!

I can't wait to hear your responses, and I can wait even less to get a Disco of my own.

THANKS SO MUCH,

Pat

Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Drifting
Default RE: Heaven on Wheels

Well it sounds like you have taken your time so I would suggest taking some more time and find one without those issues you just mentioned, I didn't see where you're located at but I took about a 6 weeks to look around socal for my used 99 Disco and I was lucky because there's a lot of inventory out here - I heard a 'noise' from the engine bay when driving, kinda of a whining or swirling noise when accelerating but couldn't figure out if it was normal engine noise or not. No other clunking, good acceleration, etc. I would just keep on looking if I were you. As a new owner I just expected to find things here and there which needed attention and I have, but those gremlins you described would send me looking elswhere - good luck.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Pat. I can't comment on all your questions, but my 2001 also "clunks" when I hit the gas after letting off. It has been there since the day I bought it. After changing the fluids in the trans, it's still there. I wouldn't worry about it. As for the power, if everything else is OK, usually a plug and wire change and an induction cleaning will take care of that. Although it's a V8, it is an underpowered V8...in no way is it a speed demon and there is no way to give it a very noticable boost. One thing you will have to get used to is the fact that it's slow. I can't comment on the other 2 issues, but I suggest you drive a few more for comparison. Also, check the records and see if the Passport to Service is with the car. You want one that has been well maintained. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Mudding

Hey Varduga..... I'm glad your thinking about a Land Rover. If you do get one, this is a great site with some really knowlegable people to help you out. As for the problems:

1) There shouldnt be that much play in the steering wheel. Although these trucks dont handle like a porsche, that still seems to be a bit too much play in the steering.

2) That sound is normal on Discovery's. When you press down on the the gas after letting go then the transfer case engages again and makes that sort of dull clunking noise. It takes a little while to learn how to ease onto the gas so that it doesnt happen. (This is an assumption without hearing the truck run.......... if it shifts properly while constant acceleration then you should be ok)

3)Not sure about this one. Perhaps you have a vacuum leak of some sort.......does it idle well? At what RPM does it idle at.

4)This is the curse of these trucks. They are extremely heavy and somewhat underpowered. In 2003 they beefed up the engine a bit, but still its a little weak. If you need some extra power though there is a SPORT mode on the truck which engages by pressing the "MODE" button on the shifter casing (you will see an S illuminate on the dash). It uses gas though so be aware of that.

Just as a word of caution.....With Discoveries, be prepared to put about 500-1500 (depending on how mechanical you are) into the truck to get it running in tip top shape. There is a lot of maintanence invovled with them and the previous owner more than likely did not keep up.

Good Luck

Old 04-06-2008, 03:28 PM
7th Gear

Awesome advice, THANK YOU!

I can definiately get used to a sluggish vehicle, but I was impressed with it's acceleration, which is much more important to me than high-range power.

I plan on test driving another one in a couple days... one that is much better looking, and is said to be in much better condition.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Pat

(I'm in Michigan, by the way)