Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help... crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help... crank but no start

My 2000 disco II has been sitting in my parents barn for 4 years un touched while I was in the military. Im out and back in the United states and discovered that it hasnt been run in that entire time. And the roof of the batn collapsed and left it expised to the weather for an entire year. I checked all seals and everything for leaks of any kind as I refilled the fluids, all looked well the engine will crank but not start. The use of starter fluid works so I know there is spark. And I can hear the fuel pump working.

My gut tells me its the crank sensor. But I wanted to see other theroies before I pull it out.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

First welcome back & thank-you

you probably want to check the shader valve on the back of the engine and see if fuel is get to the throttle body.

if it starts with starter fluid then its probably not you crank sensor, could very well just be crappy gas.

Last edited by drowssap; 05-21-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

X2 on the old gas. You do not want to crank a car sitting for 4 years until you completely drain out the old gas. Unless it's a diesel then you are good to go.

First thing I would look for in a vehicle sitting in a barn that long is damage from rats and other insects. Rats will chew up wire so check the wire harness and look for signs of rats (like droppings) inside the truck and engine bay. You could of had rats or a mud dauber build a nest up in your exhaust blocking the flow.

Last edited by Jared9220; 05-21-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM
6th Gear

Tank was drained and winterized prior to storage with fresh fuel put in the tank prior to starting it. We dont have to large a rodent problem in AK where I live. It tends to be to cold for vermin here. But I will double check. Most of the creatures here are more likely to roost in the car rather than the exhaust

Last edited by davidmkay89; 05-21-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by drowssap
First welcome back & thank-you

you probably want to check the shader valve on the back of the engine and see if fuel is get to the throttle body.

if it starts with starter fluid then its probably not you crank sensor, could very well just be crappy gas.
Any clue how to check that valve. I know where it is but im not sure how to test it

Also when starter fluid is used it only starts then stalls. Only combusting the fluid.

I also think its more likely that its a fuel thing. But I dont know how to check without pulling the manifold

Last edited by davidmkay89; 05-21-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davidmkay89
Any clue how to check that valve. I know where it is but im not sure how to test it
If you pull up the rubber seal along the back of the engine bay it is easier to get to. A simple way to make sure there is pressure is to put a rag below the valve and press in the valve and make sure fuel comes out. (Just like you would let air out of a tire)

A more in depth test would hook up a fuel gauge to that valve, crank the engine and check the numbers on the gauge.

Questions:
You said it cranked with starter fluid so you must have the intake tube off. Do you have the MAF hooked up while trying to start it?

Have you pulled the spark plugs and looked at them yet?

Have you used a test light to test all of the fuses both inside and the engine bay?

And another thought I just had is the amount of time the car battery was dead. I am wondering if it may have caused the computer to lose sync with something.

Last edited by Jared9220; 05-21-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

for a quick test use a tire gauge; it not accurate but it will let you know if you have fuel and pressure there

Old 05-21-2014, 12:08 PM
6th Gear

Maf is hooked up. Fuses are good. And I replaced the plugs when I started this adventure. I had the cps tested. That leaves only fuel related issues. Ill test the rail and reply back

#landroverownerproblems

Old 05-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

on more than one occasion, I have accidently tripped the inertia switch. it will kill power to the fuel pump. worth a look, even if you think you hear the pump.
big black button on a cylinder on the passenger side firewall in hood compartment

Last edited by dusty1; 05-21-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 PM
6th Gear

No pressure at the fuel rail. Lines and injectors are clear. That leaves one thing... fuel pump. Replaced it and it started like a champ! Thanks for your help everyone.

Another disco back on the road!!

Quick Reply: help... crank but no start