Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Disco I, Late II or Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Disco I, Late II or Land Cruiser

Guys,

I've been derailed from my methodical, smart, safe plan by you quirky Land Rover lovers Worst part is I may have been converted but am trying to let some logic into the equation!

Here's the story... So I've always liked the character and off-road competence of Rovers and almost bought a Disco I back in 98. I've steered clear all of these years due to reputation of poor reliability. Fast-forward to today.

I've been shopping suv's for the wife. She prefers a 3rd row. I want it to also have some character, be somewhat rare and certainly fun for me to tinker on i.e. lift, trail etc. So I've been looking at 95+ Toyota 80 series Land Cruiser and LX450 for several months. Today I went to the Land Rover Dallas specifically to see a 97 LX450. It was sold but you can guess what happened...

The sales rep who was cooler than a fan I might add, has a sweet Disco 1 which he tells me has given him few issues etc. Next thing you know the wife and me are on the Blackberry's looking for Disco 1 and 03+ Disco II's (I think for the 4.6 motor).

Within 10 min we find a clean 03 SE but no 3rd row just a few miles away. It drove well, had 83k and was asking $8995. We didn't push for a deal because I have no reference yet and am not sure if we should get a late Disco II or a Disco I.

I like the rugged looks of the Disco 1 but lifted II"s look dang good too. I understand Disco I's are cheaper to fix but do they have more issues?
Seems like Disco 1 is best bang for buck with 3rd row, classic looks and I'm seeing them around $3k with 150k miles. But is 150k miles on a Disco 1 a dumb purchase cause it falling apart by then and engine needing to be rebuilt? Should I save the $5k for other house projects or spring for the 03?

Regarding our use, we would put about 15k per year, I would lift a bit and do moderate trailing.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy with my D2, one air bag has a slow leak but it's a real nice ride. Avoid the '03s that have the bad oil pump..post the VIN on here and somebody can tell you. good luck shopping.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from the 03 model year. Oil pump failures destroy the engine and no center differential lock. If you want a Discovery 2 go with a 2004. It has the same 4.6 as the 03 but without the oil pump problems and it has CDL standard. CDL is a must if you off road.

Disco 1 is going to be easier to work on since it does not have as many electronics.

You'll pay about half for a Discovery what you will for a Land Cruiser from the same year.

This is a decision that you need to throw logic out the window and buy what feels right to you. Both Rovers and Cruisers are great vehicles. I'd take either of them any day but I drive a Rover because I could afford a Rover.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the feedback. What exactly do you mean 'you drive a Rover because you can afford one'. The Rover is 1/2 the price of a cruiser so do you mean you could afford to maintain it? Or did you mean you bought new?

Lastly, the fact that the Disco is about 1/2 the price of the Land Cruiser is what is making it even more attractive. However is a $6k Land Cruiser with 150k a better investment than a $3k Disco I with 150k? People say the Inline 6 is just getting broken in. How much life is left on a Disco I at 150k?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the land cruiser would be cheaper to work on but at 150K is when their head gaskets go and in my opinion a more reliable truck ..BUT they cost double of what a disco cost and thats how i made my decision .. even with doing all the maintence my disco was cheaper then buying a land cruiser and its pretty hard to find a good condition land cruiser with lockers in california

Old 05-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Is there a VIN range for the 03 Oil Pump failure? The VIN is SALTY16453A804663

Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and maintain it yourself the DI is a good option. Mechanically it's pretty simple. Less electronics to mess with. I bought a D1 pre 96 especially for that reason. I also wanted a 5spd and there's not many post 96's out there with the 5spd. But if you go for the DII like everyone says, get the 04, it's the best with the Diff lock and 4.6L

Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What I meant is that when I was shopping I looked at Rovers, Cruisers and (I hate to admit) Jeeps. The Cruisers and Jeeps were way out of my price range especially for a second vehicle so I purchased the Rover and have been happy with it since. At the time I had a good job so maintenance costs weren't really an issue but the initial purchase price was. With used vehicle, especially one that has been off road, you need to do some maintenance as soon as possible after you buy. Spending $7000 on a Cruiser or $3700 on the Rover seemed like a no brainer to me. I have put the other $3000 into my Rover since I bought it replacing head gaskets, water pump, springs and shocks as well as a ton of little stuff. Not that I ever doubted my Rover's reliability but now I feel really feel confident taking it anywhere.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

DI all the way, mine has almost 180k on it and I would drive her around the world tommorrow, I cant leave tonight because dinner is almost ready.
These trucks will last well into the 300,000 mile range.
The 3rd row in a Disco is a joke no matter the year, so if you really need to carry 7 people get a mini van.
Di's are stupid simple trucks, 90% of parts can be had at a junk yard so they are cheap to keep going.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

How about looking at what ever vehicle based on what you will be using it for, this does make a difference.
Once you decide and want specific information one one model then shout, at least then we can better advise you.

Quick Reply: Help! Disco I, Late II or Land Cruiser