Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Head Gasket Repair Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Head Gasket Repair Gone Bad

(Not a mechanic) Three years ago my 2002 LR Disco II decided to overheat on my way to work on the freeway. The engine seized and the truck had to be towed. It sat for three years and then I ordered the gasket repair kit from Atlantic British and took apart the engine, to save money, and replaced those gaskets and everything else the kit came with. Last summer, I fired it up and it ran, really rough, but drove around the neighborhood. I was about to take it to have a tune up and codes read but then, the rover developed a fuel leak coming from the rear of the motor, so I took the plenum back off to find a leak coming from the fuel line where it connects to the Evap Purge. I ordered a new one and replaced this summer. I also had to replace the secondary air lines and hoses, because I broke one during this repair. I routed all the lines, cables, and hoses as per factory specks. I put in new fuel today and fired it up. It took a couple of turn overs before it started, but really, really rough. There is a lot of popping under the hood and blue exhaust coming out of the tail pipe. The fuel leak is back as well. It is obvious that this is above my level of DIY and I am just considering selling it as is due to frustration.

Can this problem be remedied?

Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

First off- The hose coming into the purge valve should not have fuel running through it. It pulls the gas fumes from the fuel tank to be burned not actual fuel. Are you sure it is not leaking where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail or from an injector o-ring? The head gasket kit from AB comes with 16 new injector o-rings, did you install them?

HELP!!  Head Gasket Repair Gone Bad-pages-d2_workshop_manual.jpg

You may have more than 1 issue going on but I would start with the fuel leak. Not only is it a safety issue but it will cause misfires and all kinds of other problems that you are describing.

Last edited by Jared9220; 06-18-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also make sure you double check the plug wires for correct placement on cylinders.
Sounds like at least two are swapped.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Please please tell me the heads were redecked/milled/honed down and new studs preferably ARP were used....

Old 06-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)(Not a mechanic)

Honda.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your engine was truly seized and you tried to repair it by replacing just the head gaskets 3 years later, that engine is absolutely TOAST. Don't bother wasting any more money on it.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"If your engine was truly seized" it would not crank.
so recheck all your wiring connection, fuel lines and plug wires

Old 06-19-2014, 02:12 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You should post pictures from your cell phone onto this thread of the problems and the fuel leak.

Fuel goes from one line into the fuel ring.
The fuel ring goes in a closed circle to 8 injectors.
That's it.

You may have a leaking injector which is cracked or damaged.

You may have the fuel line not on correctly to the fuel ring connector.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BradyBug
(Not a mechanic)

Can this problem be remedied?
yes but on second glance, please have a Land rover mechanic assess this as you are way over your head.......

Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to do basic diagnosis. Check for spark at each cylinder. Compression too. Take off each injector connector, see if the engine note changes. What are the codes? These are the basics.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Head Gasket Repair Gone Bad