Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Help! My precious Disco has turned into a beast in the past week!! Any suggestions ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Help! My precious Disco has turned into a beast in the past week!! Any suggestions ??

Hello everybody!!! I am a 33 year old female and the proud owner of a 2002 Discovery.New member of the forum.I bought it in February 2006 and up until now, I really have had no problems. The only real problem I had in the beginning was out of the clear blue sky, my keyless remote would not lock the doors and at the same time, the interior lights would not go out after closing the door. Well, I should say that it took them about 20 minutes to go out, rather than just a couple of seconds. That problem lasted about a week, and then much to my surprise, everything started working properly again. A year and 2 months later, the same thing is going on. When I go to lock my doors with the remote, the car honks (which it has never done before when locking) but the doors do not lock, and the interior lights stay on for a good while. What could be going on???

Brace yourself....I have more issues. A few days ago, while sitting at a red light, there was some real rough idling going on. It just seemed to happen while sitting still, but at one point, while nearing 40mph, it did it real bad, and it was like I could not go over 40 mph for a few seconds. It finally balanced out, and I made a b-line to Auto Zone. They did there test on it, and it came back saying misfire cylinder #7. I had the spark plugs changed out last night. For the first 15 minutes on my way to work this morning, it ran fine. Then, while sitting still at a red light, it started that rough idling again, but not near as bad as before. Just a very mild shake. What shall I try next???

Next...(please dont't laugh at all my problems...hehe) While running the heat, there is a chirping sound coming from the passenger side vent. Its not constant, but very annoying. Turn the unit to cold air or off and it goes away.??????????????? Also, when running the heat, if you are just sitiing still (like at a drive-thru window or stop light) the warm air immediately turns to cold, until you start going again. Any ideas??

My cruise control just stopped working, along with my heated seats. Can we say craziness or what?? Mind you, all of this has happened in the past 2 weeks.

I appreciate and value any help I can get. Just trying to stay away from Land Rover service department if at all possible.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Help! Help! My precious Disco has turned into a beast in the past week!! Any suggestions ??

I have a 97, but this is my opinion. The door lock problem sound like a door switch, or many. Look for a little plunger type switch in each door. It gets pressed down when you close the door. It could also be a failing actuator, but with the light issue, I am leaning towards the switch.

How many miles? I'll bet you need new plug wires. DiscoMike has a connection for great wires. 8mm Magnacor wires are the best, and he can get them at a reasonable price. also, make sure you are running high octane gas, and it wouldn't hurt to run fuel injector cleaner through once and a while.

Chirp = fan motor. does it go away if you change the speed? Temperature - check your coolant level immediately!!! Just to make sure... It is probably just an actuator door loosing vacuum, or the heater hose cutoff... If the coolant is ok, the next time it happens, put it in N and rev it up a little. See if it goes back to warm.

Cruise and seats sounds like a fuse. Most of these should be able to be repaired by an independant shop. Meaning they should be realtively easy to diagnose and not involve much repair.

Welcome to the forum, hope this helps!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Help! Help! My precious Disco has turned into a beast in the past week!! Any suggestions ??

thanks, okdiscoguy....I'm currently at 73,000 miles. Just had coolant put in yeterday. As far as the chirping...it does it at all speeds.

Another problem I forgot to post....every once in a while, mainly first thing in the morning, when i start my disco up, there is this strange sound of gushing water that sounds like it is up underneath my dash. What the heck is that about???

Also, one other thing. I just put windshield washer fluid in my car, but when I pull my lever (?) forward to spray my windshield, nothing happens. Nothing comes out.

I am sooo sick about all of this....i luv my disco soooo much!!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you have a coolant leak. Get it pressure tested immediately. Find out what is going on. If it is not a hose, it may be a head gasket. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO LET THE TRUCK GET HOT. Keep your eye on the temp gauge and check levels frequently. Forget all of the other things and have this checked soon. It may be just a leaking hose, but the sloshing sound means you have air in the coolant lines. With it getting warmer now, you could overheat easily, and that is bad news.

Everything else is minor. I would not worry about anything else right now. I am not trying to scare you, but I think everyone on here would agree you need to have it checked out soon. The rough idle could be from a blown head gasket leaking coolant into the cylinder. Have the coolant checked first. Then we can work through everyhthing else..

Good Luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Drifting

Ok....remember I'm a female, so this may be a stupid question to you men.....can I just take it across the street here to Firestone...and when I do take it, what exactly do I need to ask them to do? And do I let them fix it, or get back on here and let you know what they say first. I'm just eerie about those middle man places...they seem to make everything worse that what it really is....

Also....don't get me wrong....I am not second guessing you...AT ALL..., but if there is a leak in the cylinder, would there not be water in the oil????

Old 04-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Agree w/ okdiscoguy - worry about the motor issues first. Not necessarily coolant in the oil w/ a head gasket leak, worst case scenario - depends where the gasket is blown. As far as the mechanic, tell them you have a coolant leak and suspect head gasket and go from there.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Drifting

Got cha....does this coolant leak have anything to do with the studdering that's going on.....thanx soooo much for yalls help....

Old 04-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Rock Crawling

If it's a head gasket, absolutely. Your motor will run rough and you could notice a significant loss of power. If there IS coolant leaking into the motor, this can causesignificant wear and can lead to engine lockup (hydrolock). Not saying your problem is definitely head gasket, only going on what you've told us - but get it checked

Old 04-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Headed to the local garage right now.....will post and let you know what they say.....thanks again to everybody that has replied

Old 04-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Mudding

We've got a great Rover mechanic in our neighborhood. When took my Disco in for a new head gasket at 66k he said, "yep....right on que." Mine was the 4th head gasket he had done in the last few months. Always on discos between 60,000 and 80,000.

Quick Reply: Help! Help! My precious Disco has turned into a beast in the past week!! Any suggestions ??