Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! HONEYMOON MON, BROKEN ROVER.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP!!! HONEYMOON MON, BROKEN ROVER.

I'm getting married saturday, my honeymoon is monday, and i need the rover, it's the only 4x4 truckI have.Today running errands,atmy last stop i noticed the smell of coolant. Looked under the truck, yep coolant leaking from the BACK!! UH OH. poped the hood,with a flashlight noticed coolant puddled up on the driver's side front part of the intake manifoldrunningout overthe rear of the drivers sidevalve cover, and dripping onto the exhaust. I went in and shopped, the truck sat for about 30 minutes, checked under the hood again, there was still coolant in the resivoir and the leaking had stopped, so i drove it home, about 1/4 mile. Got home and no leaking at all, and still coolant in resivoir??? WTF?? any ideas or suggestions, please help, i'm going crazy.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP!!! HONEYMOON MON, BROKEN ROVER.

ORIGINAL: tailchaser0527

I'm getting married saturday, my honeymoon is monday, and i need the rover, it's the only 4x4 truckI have.Today running errands,atmy last stop i noticed the smell of coolant. Looked under the truck, yep coolant leaking from the BACK!! UH OH. poped the hood,with a flashlight noticed coolant puddled up on the driver's side front part of the intake manifoldrunningout overthe rear of the drivers sidevalve cover, and dripping onto the exhaust. I went in and shopped, the truck sat for about 30 minutes, checked under the hood again, there was still coolant in the resivoir and the leaking had stopped, so i drove it home, about 1/4 mile. Got home and no leaking at all, and still coolant in resivoir??? WTF?? any ideas or suggestions, please help, i'm going crazy.
Not sure what the cause/problem is man. Sorry.

Congrats' on the wedding either way! Probably a good idea to change your UID name once the wedding is over ;-)

Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You or your mechanic needs to do a coolant pressure test. Don't drive it until then. If you take it to Land Rover they should provide you a free rental. Warranty or not. Good luck with your new contract!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How big of a puddle was it? There should be a return line running from the intake to the coolant reservior. I would check the connection of that line at the intake. I would guess that it may be able to leak if it gets hot enough and buildsup enoughpressure. A 1/4 mile drive would not get it hot enough. Just a guess though.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With the coolant bottle still full, you have air trapped in the system, more than likely. It doesn't mean you are ok to drive. Take it in and find the leak. Hopefully just a bad intake heater hose or something simple.

I got hitched on Nov. 3rd. Welcome to the club.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats man! Been married 17 years to the best woman I ever met. Don't believe the crap some people will tell you about marriage :-)

To hedge your bets you could always rent a 4WD from Avis for the week. That way you can make sure your honeymoon goes off without a "hitch".

Dave

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You need to replace down to the valley pan and no further unless your heads are leaking also. Have the head gaskets been done yet, if not I would replace yours at the same time, since you will have spent half the labor just to do the valley pan gaskets. Also, take this time to replace your plug wires, assuming they are the factory wires, with a set of 8mm Magnacor wires and regain some of your old lost performance.
As for the honey Moon, don't know what to tell you, just don't take the truck.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Update, The first leak was a small line going from the intake to the throttle body ($22 at local rover dealer and about 20 min. fixed it). So i left on my honeymoon, confident that the rover is in tip-top shape, WRONG. We drove about 300-350 miles the first afternoon, arrived at our destination ok, woke up the next morning to a large puddle of coolant under the truck[:@]. In a panic I popped the hood, and quickly found the culprit, a heater hose had split . So I found a rover dealer nearby (15 min), made a loop with the good hose and bypassed the heater core, and another $30 and 10 min. the rover is back on the road again. Last night we drove another 200 miles away from home against my better judgement. Woke up this morning and no puddles. Awesome!!! Here's my question, every time i go on a long trip with the rover it seems to blow a coolant line. Is this typical of the mileage and year of my rover, or should i be looking at another, bigger problem that's making it run hot and build too much pressure?? by now i've replaced almost every coolant hose under the hood.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if the hoses are all original up until you replace them then that's not too unlikely. Your truck is 9 years on w/ 125kand rover engines put out a lot of heat. That combination = ruptured oldhoses. If there are any left that you haven't replaced I'd do them now.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Replace all your hoses at some point but you had better have some check the coolant system for a blown head gasket. If you keep blowing hoses and leaking you may be pumping exhaust into the coolanty system, go have a pressure test run firts, if possitive them do a chemical block test to check for exhaust in the system.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! HONEYMOON MON, BROKEN ROVER.