Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: how big is the biggest puddle you hit with your disco 2 rover?
0-6 INCHES DEEP
5.88%
6-12 INCHES DEEP
0%
12-23 INCHES DEEP
35.29%
24 PLUS INCHES DEEP
58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

HELP I went offroading in mega puddles now runs ruff and stalls at idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question HELP I went offroading in mega puddles now runs ruff and stalls at idle

ok so i went offroading and i got my 2003 Land rover discovery II SE7 soaked every where. puddles where almost (if not they where) up to the doors so these were huge puddles and i hit them fast and hard behind others. i feel like a shave-tailed-lewie because i then found out that they dont do good in deep water the distributor cap is impossible to get to and i didnt seal anything!

a few minutes after hitting them my rover started sputtering and kept shutting off. for a while it would not start i got it towed to my warage (not a typo its a gym, man cave, and garage).

after a few days of letting Loraine (my rovers name) dry she was finally firing and she would stay running longer and longer. i went through and blew heat on her with a propane bullet heater. within 2 days she was firing up every time. then she was not able to get over 2500-3000 rpm without losing power as soon as i stepped on it she would take a dive like she didnt want to shift to the next gear or go any higher in rpm. i replaced the air filter cleaned the mas with the right cleaner(mas cleaner) then cleaned everything that this guy cleaned in the video below (throttle body and mass air flow)

now i can start it every time and put the pedal to the floor (not that I do). it fixed everything except my idle. my idle is rough and it will stall sometimes but it will only stall at idle. once im driving above 850-1000 rpm i have no problem with anything she runs better then before the puddle! i am not sure what to do next any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by The HUESTER; 07-09-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

It's go slow in water, not fast. :0
Nice land rover prescribed bow wave. Designed for 20" when stock.
I had mine deeper than I really should have and had a few of those symptoms (not as severe). After a few days and some reset codes I was fine.
You should definitely look at changing fluids, but you might have done electrical damage.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

You could try taking a look at the Idle Air Control valve. With the key in the ON position, it should have a steady buzz to it. If it doesn't buzz or it sounds erratic, you may need to clean it, check the wiring to it or replace it. (if there is a problem with it)
Also, have you checked the oil? This may sound like a stupid question, but sometimes the most simple things get overlooked. If it's full of pond water, it might cause some performance issues...
Good luck!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First, what fault codes show up, this is important to know to help you.
How mechanical are you, have you ever cleaned and resealed your connections in your engine compartment, have you ever replaced your plug wires, if so what brand of wires and or what color are they.
As to your question on what crossings, granted, i have down a lot of work on my 99 D2 and I can drive thru river crossing with water splashing over my hood to the windshield without the use of a snorkel and never have a problem.
If you want some help, we should talk.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Overlanding
Default how to get ahold of you

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First, what fault codes show up, this is important to know to help you.
How mechanical are you, have you ever cleaned and resealed your connections in your engine compartment, have you ever replaced your plug wires, if so what brand of wires and or what color are they.
As to your question on what crossings, granted, i have down a lot of work on my 99 D2 and I can drive thru river crossing with water splashing over my hood to the windshield without the use of a snorkel and never have a problem.
If you want some help, we should talk.
i would love to talk i have run out of ideas and my mechanic has too. the error codes showed that there was a misfire and some time and point on all cylinders. also there was the mass air flow sensor error code but i expected that because i unplugged it to clean it. how do i get ahold of you or what is the next step. im a LITTLE mechanical but im no wiz at fixing cars unless somebody else tells me what should be done. i figured the air intake had to be cleaned but thats about it. i can fix about anything if i know what i need to do but the "knowing what to do" is not something i am good at. Thanks, Matthew

ps. sorry for the delay my daughter was born 11 days ago so i was all hyped up on that. now i am focused on fixing my rover.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Congratulations!
Did you get water into the mass airflow then? That can't be ideal…

Old 07-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Overlanding
Default next step i guess?

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Congratulations!
Did you get water into the mass airflow then? That can't be ideal…
Thanks!!

yea got a layer of mud on my whole intake. it was a chore cleaning all of the stuff but it ran much better afterword. it actually runs better then before I went through the puddles except for the stalling thing and rough idle

I guess my next step is to change spark plugs and wires and check the coil pack for issues another chore but I gotta get her back in tip-top condition. the way she drives is kinda scary as I take my boat out regularly and she is what I use to do it. the stalling thing on the loading dock is not fun

Old 07-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First, stop guessing and lets talk before you throw good money after bad.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Overlanding

how do I contact you Disco Mike? I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me. thanks, Matthew

Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Overlanding
Default Found the fix!!

OK so after talking with disco mike (aka rover guru) I got the codes read on my rover and gave them to him and he found that my o2 sensor was bad and that I have a bad mass air flow sensor so I replaced the mass air flow sensor with the same part a little more pricey then getting an aftermarket but I was assured it would be well worth it and it was! my rover no longer stalls!!! I will be replacing spark plug wires also as they are not very good but the mass air flow sensor was the problem!! Thanks mike!!

Quick Reply: HELP I went offroading in mega puddles now runs ruff and stalls at idle