Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me ID this leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 12:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by davidpx858
i did..i just checked the dip stick and noticed the oil level is about 2inches above the FULL mark. could this be the reason? should i just drain it and refill? oil change was done by a shop
If you checked it after it had been sitting a while, not running, so to get the correct reading...then that could be a couple quarts high.

l'd surely drain out two quarts to start with and recheck.

Plus, l'd find out what viscosity oil they put in, was it synthetic or dino, this could lead to leaking issues with old seals.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:28 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I've seen the dipstick look two inches high if you just pull the dipstick out and look at it when the engine is still warm. Did you confirm this reading by removing the dip stick, wiping it clean, and then reinserting it to measure?

Old 06-22-2020, 01:54 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I've seen the dipstick look two inches high if you just pull the dipstick out and look at it when the engine is still warm. Did you confirm this reading by removing the dip stick, wiping it clean, and then reinserting it to measure?
i did that on a cold engine, parked overnight

Old 06-23-2020, 06:37 AM
Camel Trophy

i did that on a cold engine, parked overnight
If checked cold and on level surface...then l'd say it's overfilled. And l'd start by draining 2 quarts. After draining a couple quarts, run engine, shut it off, let engine rest for five minutes, pull dipstick, wipe clean, insert dipstick and remove for correct reading...and make + or - adjustments bassed on reading.

It's funny Dave03 mentions wiping the dipstick clean...and this is sometimes where l fail at giving advice...being 60 years old and growing up around guys that were motorheads and taught to do it "this way" (wipe dipstick) from the earliest days...l forget some of these basic details and just assume any person would know this.

And this leads to the "no win" situation of giving advice over the internet. If l over explain something to someone that is mechanically inclined or turned wrenches before...they think l'm being a jerk for talking to them like they are an idiot by explaing every detail...and normally cop an attitude. But, if l under explain the procedure or leave out some small detail to someone that is an idiot (about vehicle repairs or just in general) and this is the first time they've ever opened a hood...then they think l'm a jerk for not going through "every single step" in great detail...and they cop an attitude. Heck, just the other day...we had a guy checking the oil while it was running! I mean, who does that?

Like they say..."no good deed goes unpunished"...lol.

Last edited by The Deputy; 06-23-2020 at 06:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Brandon318 (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 01:27 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
If checked cold and on level surface...then l'd say it's overfilled. And l'd start by draining 2 quarts. After draining a couple quarts, run engine, shut it off, let engine rest for five minutes, pull dipstick, wipe clean, insert dipstick and remove for correct reading...and make + or - adjustments bassed on reading.

It's funny Dave03 mentions wiping the dipstick clean...and this is sometimes where l fail at giving advice...being 60 years old and growing up around guys that were motorheads and taught to do it "this way" (wipe dipstick) from the earliest days...l forget some of these basic details and just assume any person would know this.

And this leads to the "no win" situation of giving advice over the internet. If l over explain something to someone that is mechanically inclined or turned wrenches before...they think l'm being a jerk for talking to them like they are an idiot by explaing every detail...and normally cop an attitude. But, if l under explain the procedure or leave out some small detail to someone that is an idiot (about vehicle repairs or just in general) and this is the first time they've ever opened a hood...then they think l'm a jerk for not going through "every single step" in great detail...and they cop an attitude. Heck, just the other day...we had a guy checking the oil while it was running! I mean, who does that?

Like they say..."no good deed goes unpunished"...lol.
thanks for your detailed reply. speaking of basic details, i failed to realize my truck is parked in the driveway with slight uphill slope, this might or might not be the reach for the high reading..again, never neglect the small basic details. thanks

Old 06-23-2020, 02:27 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

thanks for your detailed reply. speaking of basic details, i failed to realize my truck is parked in the driveway with slight uphill slope, this might or might not be the reach for the high reading..again, never neglect the small basic details. thanks

2 inches high is a lot high. No matter if your on a slight angle like a drive way. Who filled your oil ??

Old 06-23-2020, 02:28 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

i did..i just checked the dip stick and noticed the oil level is about 2inches above the FULL mark. could this be the reason? should i just drain it and refill? oil change was done by a shop
missed this. Take it back to the shop and ask why the oil is 2 inches above full ??

Old 06-24-2020, 11:33 AM
Camel Trophy

I'd be hesitant to drive any distance or at higher speeds...if it is actually a couple quarts high...or more. At that point, while running, oil starts to make contact with the lopes of the crank and can be beat/whipped into a froth/aerated and the pump will no longer be able to draw sufficient lubricant/oil to ensure proper lubrication. The oil pump works as designed, if drawing liquid oil...but not so good...if air is introduced.

Check it on a level surface and if it is still 2" higher than fill mark...then l'd drop 2 quarts out.