Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me not be sucker!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

He really didn't take pictures of the areas that are known to fail first/worst, along fuel tank behind rear axle. Ask for more pictures, both frame rails from rear bumper facing forward.

Brian.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jmayzer
Are you worried about that? Even given the age and mileage?
I would be.

Idk if I would pay $5k for this truck.
I didn't see you mention anything about the engine...
Sure the head gaskets may be new, the timing chain, water pump etc...but what about engine internals? Rings? Bearings?
What's the oil look like? Is it super thin or super thick?
Original trans?
Are you personally ready to repair this truck every couple of months?
Are you ready to research check engine codes?
Monitor the engine coolant temperature constantly?
Only get 10-12 miles to the gallon?
Pay stupid money for parts that might have to get shipped over from Europe?

Old 11-30-2017, 07:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default I gotta say it

Ok. I wanted to ignore this post but I just can't help myself.

$5000 for that truck is completely nuts. You are in Oklahoma not California. The truck has 230k on the clock. It is at a dealership. If you just gotta have it offer them half that and walk away if they don't accept.

Personally I wouldnt even consider more than $1500 for that truck and thats just because I like the color. Check the blue book value. I think its about $600. Remember that you will want to sell it someday.

I would recommend the craigslist in Dallas, Kansas City, Omaha, Tulsa, etc. Those trucks sit on those sites for months.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
Perfect, then don't be embarrassed and climb under this thing and poke around with a screwdriver. I once put just my hand through the top of a DII frame just in front of the gas filler neck. And the truck "looked" in great shape. Rust loves these frames. And while your at it lift up the carpet D and P side front and check the floor for rust. It might not be through to the underside, but if it's there you'll see and smell it. Yes, no B$ "smell" it.

And I'm not trying to crap on this or any truck... just look at it eyes wide open. Good Luck!
No worries, I appreciate your insight!

Originally Posted by The Deputy
He really didn't take pictures of the areas that are known to fail first/worst, along fuel tank behind rear axle. Ask for more pictures, both frame rails from rear bumper facing forward.

Brian.
I'm waiting on more photos of exactly that area, although he says what he sent me are really the only spots.

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
I would be.

Idk if I would pay $5k for this truck.
I didn't see you mention anything about the engine...
Sure the head gaskets may be new, the timing chain, water pump etc...but what about engine internals? Rings? Bearings?
What's the oil look like? Is it super thin or super thick?
Original trans?
Are you personally ready to repair this truck every couple of months?
Are you ready to research check engine codes?
Monitor the engine coolant temperature constantly?
Only get 10-12 miles to the gallon?
Pay stupid money for parts that might have to get shipped over from Europe?
I mentioned it all a few posts back. A brand new Atlantic British engine was put in the truck less than 20k miles ago. Haven't seen the oil, but it was meticulously maintained at the dealer by the previous 1 owner its whole life. Transmission is original and this would be my second DII, my first of which I owned for about 5 years. So I'm not completely new to the game...it's just been a little while

Originally Posted by zuke
Ok. I wanted to ignore this post but I just can't help myself.

$5000 for that truck is completely nuts. You are in Oklahoma not California. The truck has 230k on the clock. It is at a dealership. If you just gotta have it offer them half that and walk away if they don't accept.

Personally I wouldnt even consider more than $1500 for that truck and thats just because I like the color. Check the blue book value. I think its about $600. Remember that you will want to sell it someday.

I would recommend the craigslist in Dallas, Kansas City, Omaha, Tulsa, etc. Those trucks sit on those sites for months.

Just my 2 cents.
$5000 for a truck that has basically been entirely rebuilt mechanically and electronically? 230k miles yes, but thats basically only on the frame, paint, glass, and interior, all of which appear as if they're on a 60k mile truck. Yes its a private dealer, but also being sold by a Rover enthusiast, and he's a friend of a friend. So I would be really surprised if he tried to do anything shady considering how bad he would be blasted online if I found out anything nefarious had been done....

Old 11-30-2017, 01:35 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't do it.
Get an LR3 or LR4.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Hey I didn't know it had a new motor in it so my bad. I will tell you that I bought one with a new tophat motor and the truck had belonged to the wife of the local land rover dealer. I paid 2800 for it with 130k on the clock and it is in near perfect shape.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moving on!

Just got photos of the frame back from the seller. She's not for me boys, she's not for me.

Attached Thumbnails Help me not be sucker!!-24251406_10210991900698347_704191083_o.jpg   Help me not be sucker!!-24208790_10210991900858351_1640809762_o.jpg   Help me not be sucker!!-24281637_10210991901218360_495836515_o.jpg  
Old 11-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by zuke

$5000 for that truck is completely nuts. You are in Oklahoma not California.
Hey now...don't be discriminating. If folks in California get to pay to much for their rovers...then by gosh...every American should have the same opportunity.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:52 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by jmayzer
Just got photos of the frame back from the seller. She's not for me boys, she's not for me.

WOW, now you know why The Stealer didn't send you these pics first! That thing is TOAST!!!
Glad you took your time before you pulled the trigger on this turd.

" Yes its a private dealer, but also being sold by a Rover enthusiast, and he's a friend of a friend. So I would be really surprised if he tried to do anything shady..."

Are you still surprised????

Last edited by OverRover; 11-30-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Yep, saved yourself a painful adventure. Go farther south if you are serious about getting a nice/clean underside.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Help me not be sucker!!