Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Motor Swap Codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 05:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help With Motor Swap Codes

Hello,

I’ve read a ton of post on here and I have tried a lot of different things, yet I’m still having a problem. So, I thought I’d reach out.

2004 Land Rover discover 2
I bought it with a blown HG and bad T-Case. So I snagged a running motor, tranny, transfer case from another 2004 for cheap.

I’ve dropped the new stuff in the and the vehicle is throwing a few misfire codes P0301, P0304, P0306, P0307, P0300 as well as P1514, P1553, P1300.

I have gone through and check the spark plugs, also slapped in the another set, I did the same with the ignition cables. I also swapped the IAVC sensor and checked the connection. I have also cleaned and checked the CKP.

I am going to swap the TP sensor and double check the ignition cables on the distributor once more.

Injectors are new as well.

I bought this as a gift for my girl, I’ve been a mechanic for a few years and have read almost the entire RAVE manual but I am struggling to get her running right. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Mwells; 04-23-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

I guess you could check plug wire routing and proper firing order. How long has it been running, may take a bit to work all of the air out of the fuel rail, could account for misfires, too. Got several misfire codes after starting my last engine build, but only set them once and straighten right out after a bit.

Not seeing any picture...so...unsure of plugs you are referring to. But, if you have your old transfer case...should be easy to figure out.

Have you tried adjusting your XYZ switch on shift cable/trans....so it starts in park reliably?

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
Mwells (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

those two wires are for the TC temp switch. Some have em & some don't.

Mwells (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 08:17 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I guess you could check plug wire routing and proper firing order. How long has it been running, may take a bit to work all of the air out of the fuel rail, could account for misfires, too. Got several misfire codes after starting my last engine build, but only set them once and straighten right out after a bit.

Not seeing any picture...so...unsure of plugs you are referring to. But, if you have your old transfer case...should be easy to figure out.

Have you tried adjusting your XYZ switch on shift cable/trans....so it starts in park reliably?

Brian.

I have ran it a few times because I figured there was air in the system. I’ve driven it 1-2 miles probably 4 times now as well.

I did make the adjustment to the XYZ switch a couple of times to get it perfect because it wasn’t reading park correctly. Now it will say park and just not start every few times the codes start up.

Sorry about the photo, it’s showing up on my thread when I view it fine. There are 4 connections that come off the transfer case harness to connect to the transmission. The gray XYZ plug, the black circle plug that screws partially into the tranny and then two small black push connections. The small push connections have me confused even after looking over my extra parts.

The Deputy (04-23-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 08:21 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Best4x4
those two wires are for the TC temp switch. Some have em & some don't.

Thank you. I do have a transfer case light on the dash, do you think that could be it?

Old 04-19-2020, 08:34 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by The Deputy

Brian.

I did try and run it a few times to let the air out because I thought that would be the problem as well. I’ve driven it 1-2 miles probably 4 times during my trouble shooting along with clearing the codes.

I did adjust the XYZ switch a few times to make sure everything is working. But once the codes pop up the starting in park becomes a problem.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

It shouldn't affect anything. Most are just dangling under the vehicle their entire life.

Mwells (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 11:40 PM
4wd Low

New Throttle position sensor and coil pack. Still throwing the same codes. I’ll try more tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:37 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check fuel pressure.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:58 PM
4wd Low

Fuel pressure was 50.

I replaced the alternator, battery, started, and MAF sensor today. Also had a new code pop up, P0112.

Quick Reply: Help With Motor Swap Codes