Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! My disco just started; stopping Literally!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:04 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! My disco just started; stopping Literally!!!!

I don't know how to explain this, but I'll try. Last week, my discovery began making a grinding AND skeaking noise (at about 10-15 mph). When I heard this, and took my foot off the pedal, the truck immediately began to slow down. Unfortunately I was away from home (taking my son to school), so I couldn't just stop. I pressed the gas, and once the truck got to about 35 mph, it made a loud thump, and ran pretty good... until I slowed down. I made it back home, but I still don't know the problem. When I tried to locate the skeaking sound (having a friend put it in gear and coast out the garage with no gas applied). It seemed to be coming from the bottom, center of the truck. When I finally gave up, and went to place the truck back in the garage, the truck stopped moving (in reverse). I placed it in drive for a few feet, then back to reverse, and it moved again, but only when I applied the gas, and very slowly at that. If this sounds familiar, please respond, also if you happen to know around how much this repair would cost, it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help!!! My disco just started; stopping Literally!!!!

Kinda hard to diagnose your problem as it could be a number of things, but it sounds like you may have a brake caliper that is frozen up. Look at the brake rotors and see if any of them have evidence of a "metal to metal" deeply grooved appearence. Other than that, there is a possibility that you have a hanging up emergency brake (as this is a drum brake set-up on the output shaft of the transfer case --which is approx in the middle of the vehicle.) If the e-brake cable froze and the e-brake shoes have ground through the material, then you would have a grinding noise and the vehicle would behave in a manner such as you describe.

If no-go on either of these--- then get it up in the air (all four wheels) on jack stands, and run it at IDLE. Then drop it into drive and listen. Then apply the brake, and shift into reverse--and listen again.

Get back to us with what you find.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 12-17-2006, 07:14 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: BigDawg32

I don't know how to explain this, but I'll try. Last week, my discovery began making a grinding AND skeaking noise (at about 10-15 mph). When I heard this, and took my foot off the pedal, the truck immediately began to slow down. Unfortunately I was away from home (taking my son to school), so I couldn't just stop. I pressed the gas, and once the truck got to about 35 mph, it made a loud thump, and ran pretty good... until I slowed down. I made it back home, but I still don't know the problem. When I tried to locate the skeaking sound (having a friend put it in gear and coast out the garage with no gas applied). It seemed to be coming from the bottom, center of the truck. When I finally gave up, and went to place the truck back in the garage, the truck stopped moving (in reverse). I placed it in drive for a few feet, then back to reverse, and it moved again, but only when I applied the gas, and very slowly at that. If this sounds familiar, please respond, also if you happen to know around how much this repair would cost, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hey bigdawg32,

My disco did the same to me. at first, it did it after left-hand turns from a dead stop, grinding noise and all. Then one fateful day it happened on the freeway at 75 mph.the rear of the truckjerked and needless to say it scared the ^%$#^$ out of me so I immeadiately pull off and phoned my mechanic. He also suggested the frozen caliper, but he also noted that I've had to use my e-brake to stop when my abs would act up and he thought my ebrake might be damaged and coming apart with some of the parts jamming against the inside of the disk which supports geoman's theory. if you've figured out your problem, i'd appreciate hearing about it.

john

Old 12-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What is the year and model, how many miles on her?
Mike

Old 12-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Mudding

Mike,

Mine is a 1996 SE with 105K miles. Because my disco is suffering from ABS issues, I've had to use the hand brake to keep from rearending a few other drivers. By brother theorized that may have caused my problem. We haven't had the time to disassemble the brake and prove it, however. The problem hasn't happened since; but has sinced been replaced with what sounds like rubbing noise when I make right hand turns or circles. sigh...

John