Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed

I posted this in a previous post but didn't get any answer so I'm trying again. Yesterday morning after I started my truck, I heard some clicking in the passenger side(while clicking the CEL flashed and then stayed on). While clicking the truck wasn't running well at all. Then it stopped and the truck was running fine,I drove it to my office with no problem. Same thing happened when I left my office.

This morning when I started the truck, it clicked more than yesterday and the truck eventually died in my driveway. Started right up after but ran like crap for 5 to 10 seconds. Brought the car in the garage, removed trim and checked under the passenger's side dash and in the footwell. There seems to be no rust, so I can rule out any ground issue. Which part can have gone bad, can it be the engine ECU (most likely)? Or it may simply be a bad relay? Thanks for any answer.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Help needed

You didnt get a answeer because nobody has a clue.
It could be the alarm spider or the ECU, or a relay, or...

Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel pump or

Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Winching

I asked my machanic yesterday about the issue. He told me it can be a loose/corroded engine or body ground (in the engine bay). Or the alternator is over/under charging, which can cause the ECU not to work properly.

Definitely not the fuel pump, the clicking comes from under the passenger's side dash. Thanks Spike you just gave me a clue with the alarm spider. Whenever I unlock my doors, I often have to reset the alarm if I want it to stop. And yes I always unlock the driver's door first, it is simply that the alarm doesn't come off when I unlock the door.

Anyways I took an appointment next Wednesday, I'll let you know how it turned out

Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are just using the key, it won't turn off the alarm. You need a remote. To lock the doors without turning off the alarm, just hold it in the lock position for 5 seconds, and the alarm will not set once the doors are locked.

That is probably why your alarm is going off....

Old 02-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Winching

I don't have the remote. Thanks for the tip, I will never turn my alarm on in the future, I live in Quebec I don't need an alarm system.

I couldn't wait for next wednesday so I did some research in the Rave manual of electric faults and here are the engine relatedrelays/electronic devices located in the RH footwell:

- ECM load relay : from what I understand this relay controls the current delivered to the ECM
- Engine Control Module
- Fuel pump relay : redhotbuzz you were right
- Ignition load relay : something to do with the coil pack?
- Multi-function relay : not in the footwell but I keep it in my list anyways

When the clicking occurs, I can rev up the engine, except that it seems to be misfiring rather than lacking gas. I will get the codes read today and see what comes out.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy

YOu may have a relay going out. Might want to pull each relay, one at a time and check the contacts. Make sure they are all seated well. If you have a fuel pump relay going out/making a bad connection, it will only trigger the pump in spurts, so it doesn't send enough fuel, causing you engine to cut out.

Can you make the thing click? If it does it a lot, you can let the relays lay down(kinda on a lever that folds down) and feel them while it is clicking. One you figure out which one is clicking, you can replace it and/or trace back down the line.

On another note, I had some starting issues that reversed, meaning if I just left the key on, truck not running, it would start and idle all on its own. I had water in the fuse box. It isn't too hard to pull and check. The MFU is clipped on the back...

Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Winching

The clicking was pretty random. I started to check everything this morning, and I found my problem. The was a rust hole in the ECM casing.... the size of a nickel, so no further questions about the part that crapped out.

Now I'm looking for a used ECM part # MKC104620. Any tips? Already checked on eBay, Roverland parts, Car cannibal. Any other websites I should check?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Camel Trophy

send roverland an e-mail. Thay might not have it listed.

Watch out for the rovercannibal, I have heard some horror stories about them...wrong parts, delays, getting junk, etc...

Only other place would be craigslist. PM me with your e-mail. I know a guy parting out his 96. He still has all of the electricals, and would probably let it go cheap. A pic of what you need would be helpful, unless you are talking about the ECM under the hood, which, by the way, has to be matched with testbook to your car...

Old 02-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Winching

can't use a 96 ECU. It is not the same part #, and yes it is the one under the hood. BTW hereare somepictures of the faulty one.

Name:  DSC01330.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  8.3 KBName:  DSC01329.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  8.0 KB

I found a dude on eBay selling one.... and he's from Canada, which is a good point for me!

Quick Reply: Help needed