Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! No brakes after many new parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 02:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had to take some time off for a funeral.

New MC... nothing. Same issues remain. Pedal to floor.

Officially stumped and now getting mad as if that will help.

I know it is a simple hydraulic system but jeez, it has me scratching my head at this point.

To recap:
new hard lines (two were rusted thru and when taking off ruined threads to rubber lines)
new ss lines to calipers
4 new calipers (the others were beyond keeping for safety reasons)
2 MC
exchanged booster w spare
exchanged ABS pump w spare

At this point I've run out of time to get the kid to college...
Taking this POS to the mechanic

Old 08-06-2020, 07:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

Is the pedal actually pressing on the MC piston?

if yes, then... time to test pressures:
1) at MC outlets
2) on top of ABS block

then at least you can say that you are good to this point

3) then at each caliper

Old 08-07-2020, 05:12 PM
Overlanding

Having trouble finding an indy shop with appointments in the near future...

So today, I took off the new MC and bench bled it with a kit from Advanced Auto, Dorman. The kit has fittings and hoses. Had the kid hold the hoses and clamp them down after completing the down stroke. Installed the fully bled MC and then began a concerted effort to get the #$%@#(ing air out of the lines. First I gravity bled the each caliper. Got a fair amount of air out of the rears. Then I had the kid do the 2 man method. Nothing of note there. Then put the Motive bleeder on it. Got a large amount of air out of rears. I ran about 3 quarts thru the rears each and had air until the last bit of the last quart. The fronts had air but not nearly that amount. Then a power bleed with Hawkeye, no air at all came out. Ran each caliper 3 times.

Considering that ALL hard and rubber lines, calipers, MC, and ABS pump have been swapped out for new (except for ABS that is a used unit), I think we may be on the way to success.

It stopped much better in the driveway. It stopped on first pedal stroke but pedal did eventually fade to floor or very near floor. Did not take it on the road, so I really don't know how it will act at speed.

My plan is to re-bleed once or twice more this weekend unless someone tells me that I have done enough. But given the amount of air that came out today, I'm convinced that it was just trapped and that the fluid was just being forced by it or that I just didn't let it run long enough. I figure at this point I have nothing to loose since I don't have an appointment at a shop. Besides I just love laying on cardboard in the driveway.

Old 08-07-2020, 05:16 PM
Overlanding

I wanted to ask... My last Disco 2 was in 2014 and it was an '04.

Is it common for the brake pedal to go to or near the floor when your foot is on it and you are not moving? Like when you start the truck and have your foot on pedal but have not moved...

I simply don't remember.

My list of Disco's in the past:
2000 from 2006 to 2009
and a 2004 G4 from 2012 to 2014
So they didn't have the years or mileage of this one.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Okay, don't want to sound like a jerk...but did you get the calipers on the right sides. If they are mounted opposite, which they can be, the bleeders will be on the bottom of the caliper...leaving the caliper loaded with air. The bleeder goes towards the top of the caliper. Only reason l'm mentioning it...is because we've had it happen here before.

It's not your booster, if you have assisted pedal pressure while running, that's what it's suppose to do...assist your foot pressure. Pedal should be hard, if engine is not running.

And the reason the other person, who had similar issue, never reported back on what they found...is because they abandoned the Dll and a tow company acquired it and sold it to an unsuspecting buyer...and like Paul Harvey would say...now you know the rest of the story...lol.

Good luck, how you figure this out soon.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by The Deputy

And the reason the other person, who had similar issue, never reported back on what they found...is because they abandoned the Dll and a tow company acquired it and sold it to an unsuspecting buyer...and like Paul Harvey would say...now you know the rest of the story...lol.

That was a welcome laugh!

All calipers have bleed screws at top. But you did make me stop and think.

Thanks for the reply

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 07:10 PM
Overlanding

The only other thing I have not addressed is rotors and pads. I've had a good look at the pads and they are in great shape with plenty of thickness.

Rotors? I'm going to measure them tomorrow. Could this cause the issue if too thin?

Old 08-08-2020, 04:05 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by matthewb0051
The only other thing I have not addressed is rotors and pads. I've had a good look at the pads and they are in great shape with plenty of thickness.

Rotors? I'm going to measure them tomorrow. Could this cause the issue if too thin?
l'd say no. If they look fine, the calipers will adjust to their thickness.

I know you said you've put a ton of brake fluid through this system...but...it sure sounds like you have air in the system...especially, if the pedal goes to the floor, but can be pumped up to finally get some pedal.

Also, l conveniently left off a bit of the story...concerning the other guy with similar issues...he also appeared on Dr. Phil...explaining how he lost his entire life savings buying parts for his Dll, lost his home, wife and family, eventually lost his job because he never could make it to work...where eventually...he and his dog were committed to an insane asylum...where he lived out the rest of his life, very happily, playing with marbles and talking to his dog.

So, the story does have a happy ending.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
l

Also, l conveniently left off a bit of the story...concerning the other guy with similar issues...he also appeared on Dr. Phil...explaining how he lost his entire life savings buying parts for his Dll, lost his home, wife and family, eventually lost his job because he never could make it to work...where eventually...he and his dog were committed to an insane asylum...where he lived out the rest of his life, very happily, playing with marbles and talking to his dog.
Oddly enough this D2 is in White Gold and your's is RIP. Hmmm

Old 08-09-2020, 06:44 AM
Camel Trophy

Any headway?

Quick Reply: Help!!! No brakes after many new parts