Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a noob out, please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a noob out, please.

Hi all,

First post.

I've been looking for a good 4x4 as an insurance policy on my Volvo. I live in Pittsburgh and the snow is generally terrible. I also spend a lot of time in the mountains hiking, camping, and kayaking, and I've ripped too many mufflers off my girl.

I was originally looking for a Jeep Cherokee, but I found a beautiful Disco II that someone ran into a rock. I've loved Land Rovers forever, and this one is at a price that I can't ignore. However, the front bumper is messed up. So my question to you all is, based solely off the pictures I will attach, what am I looking at in repair bills right out of the gate? Obviously a new bumper, brush guard, and fog light. I'm not a rich man, and I don't mind non-genuine parts. I'm having little to no luck being able to track down parts on the internet though, so I have turned to you all.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Help a noob out, please.-lr-1.jpg   Help a noob out, please.-lr-2.jpg  

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 11-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh that's right guys I still lurk around this site!!!! Lol.

That doesn't look too bad, as long as the frame isn't bent there and the price is right I would go for it. How many miles are on it? As for the damage find a junkyard pull the bumper cover and the trim below the headlight. 99-02 will fit. I wouldn't worry about color, you could bedline it aswell as the trime below the head light. It would make it lookv sweet as well.
Just make sure to find out what service has been done to the truck before pruchase. These things like to eat drive shafts and head gaskets. But other than that they are solid trucks and do amazing in the snow!
Cheers

Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

You mentioned "mountains hiking, camping, and kayaking, and I've ripped too many mufflers off my girl:...

Do you do a lot of off-roading? Just a heads up.. some of the Disco model years do not come with a Center Diff Lock (CDL) option.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

that's barely a scratch. economy aftermarket bumpers are also out there.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
that's barely a scratch. economy aftermarket bumpers are also out there.
This.

Britpart and terrafirma both make a pretty reasonably priced steel bumper.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:46 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the quick responses! Info below.

2000 Disco II
125k Miles
Link to Carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2000 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II

I'm not an off-roader, I just end up in places with my Volvo (Sedan, 850 GLT) that it does not belong. I'll end up putting a reasonable lift kit and tires on it eventually, but I'm not planning on decking this out for the Kalahari, give me a few years on that one...

I know the Discos have some reliability issues, but from what I've read, the 2000 is one of the better model years. I may be wrong, and if so, please enlighten me.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

'oo cdl nipple is there, that's a plus. but year model-wise the time has pretty much run out on the ticking time bomb issues of the faulty oil pump years, so that is not even an issue, imo.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Discos are great but....

Two things to think about:
#1- doesn't matter how nice it looks or drives, at some point in the next few years you will HAVE TO get a head-gasket job done. It's not a huge deal but it happens to all Land Rovers regardless of k's on the engine or how much someone looked after it. So whatever you buy, just remember that you'll be spending around $2000 to have the heads done within a few years. Usually happens around 150,000 miles but that can vary.

#2- I love my D2 and love driving it but I would never recommend a Land Rover to someone who isn't at all mechanically inclined or who doesn't...at least like sourcing their own parts and figuring out the problems on their own. Basically if you are the type of person that goes straight to a mechanic whenever the check engine light comes on or whenever something needs work...don't buy a Land Rover. If you like looking at forums, and trying to figure out issues yourself and maybe you know a mechanic and can buy your parts online then go for it.

My 2 cents. I've owned my Disco for 3 years and It is amazing on and off road.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

That is just a bumper.
A bolt on part.

Find a used one and bolt it on.
I would buy it.

Ebay sellers are ripping off for bumpers as always.

discovery bumper front | eBay

You should get that rover, just drive it.
Bumper looks like crap, so what?

You will come across a parts rover eventually and just make a deal for that bumper.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Three Wheeling

My disco front bumper looks exactly like that... except mirrored on the other side as well. They are plastic coves and crumple with ease. I currently saving up for an aftermarket bumper, and I would recommend you do to and not mess with a factory replacement. The disco is so heavy that any front impact will do the same thing again... especially if you like to do some offroading.

Quick Reply: Help a noob out, please.