Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help picking between two 2001 Discos

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 11:08 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help picking between two 2001 Discos

Hello,

Hope everyone is well. We're about to pull the trigger on my first Disco. We're anticipating learning a lot of mechanics and work from home so it does not have to be too reliable lol. We've recently inherited a garage full of tools from a mechanic friend.

Option 1 is a 2001 SD, 2nd owner owned, 144k, White. Recent work including brakes, hoses, battery, new tires (Bridgestone Dueler Luxury SUV 5,000 miles ago), master cylinder, fuel pump). Dealer serviced. Has as a fuel leak that he believes is coming from a bad seal for the fuel pump. AC is not blowing cold, expects it needs a charge. Looks clean other than cracked seats and the back bumper needs replaced. (see photo of bumper). There was a 3mph 'accident' reported- I'm assuming thats the bumper issue. He's asking a little under 3k and lives in a 2mil house so maybe I can get a deal.

Option 2 is a 2001 SE, 2nd owner owned. No check engine light. 116k miles. Black. Brakes and battery are new. Everything works as it should. Ice cold AC. Tires are new and wheels are in excellent condition. He's asking 4700 OBO.

I'm really torn because while sunroofs are at the top of my list; I would rather spend less than 3k, prefer the white, and the man selling it seems more legit since he has records.

Curious what others would choose taking into consideration the bumper and fuel leak issue. My dad has told me the white car will leave me in a ball of flames- so he's not too happy. I would probably buy both if I could at the moment.

Thank you for your time.

2001 SD

2001 SD bumper

2001 SE

Old 12-17-2020, 01:26 PM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts

The fuel issue if the owner is correct is pretty easy to fix I just did it on mine. You gotta remove the rear interior to pull up the carpet or if you don’t care cut the carpet. Pump pulls right out and that gasket is a few bucks slides right on (if that’s the issue)

Old 12-17-2020, 01:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks! That's what we've gathered from youtube over the last few hours! Hope thats right. I'm leaning towards the white one. Unless someone feels strongly the Black one is the better buy.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Both are going to leave you in a ball of flames. Get the SD. The sunroofs will be your Nightmare on Elm Street.

Last edited by stillruns; 12-17-2020 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 08:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Based on the pics it looks like you live in a warm climate. I like sunroofs in hot climates, can crack the rear and vent the interior. I have perfected the sunroof seal and all sunroof trucks need the headliner replaced anyway unless you are in AZ or CA where it never rains anyway. That said, the white one will likely be cooler anyway due to color. The white one has vinyl seats but if they are cracked you can just replace them with leather anyway for pretty cheap.

116 is pretty low miles, I would expect it to be on the oem headgaskets and you can probably keep it that way if you replace the cooling system and keep a close eye on it.

I would probably buy the white one. It willl always be worth $2k more just due to the mileage difference. Do all the PM in my list and it will be super reliable for 110k. You would probably spend $500 of the difference on the rear bumper anyway.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Black all day

I know you like the white one but if you aren’t willing to do all the work yourself you will have to put 2k into that to make it look and work great. Get the one with lower miles and few issues. IMO. Good luck

Old 12-18-2020, 07:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm liking the SE except for the price. It has low miles and it looks sick murdered out in black.

The following users liked this post:
Massrover (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 08:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Dealer Serviced but has a fuel leak? this sounds shady. why wasn't the truck taken back to the Dealer? if it was recent work as the owner indicates then it should be under warranty.

AC doesn't blow cold even after a Dealer Service. i would guess it's more than just a recharge.

the White Rover may have the service records but it sure doesn't look like it was cared for. from the bumper to the missing exterior rear pillar cover.

a 2 million dollar house doesn't mean that the right maintenance was done on the truck.

i'd get a Pre-Purchase Inspection on both and then go from there.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:16 AM
Winching

Make a budget for fixing all the issues and double it if not more the previous post is correct. ac most likely had a leak so add that into the budget. That gasket is easy to replace so if it’s straight forward why wasn’t or replaced previously. If somethings easy to fix and can net you more money then you would fix it then make more profit but if something is not worth your time to fix then talk it down as something easy to fix so the new buyer thinks it’s a better deal

Old 12-18-2020, 08:20 AM
Winching

Classic line I’m sure many here can relate to is the “oh it just needs a rear abs sensor and the lights will go off” then you are 2 new hubs, new abs sensors, shuttle valve into the job and they just now go off. Always anticipate the worst

Quick Reply: Help picking between two 2001 Discos