Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Replacing Rear Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Help Replacing Rear Rotors

I haven't owned this Disco II very long. Need to replace rear rotors/pads. I'm not new to brake work, but I see this rig looks like it has floating rear axles (I was suprised to see). Do I just pop off the hub, pull out the axle and replace the rotor as per normal, or is there a special proceedure I should know about? It's a Disco II w/133k mi. I'm going to replace the pads on the front rotors also. Thanks.

[Edited] Sorry, I meant Disco I, not Disco II

Mark G

Old 10-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help Replacing Rear Rotors

The rotors are on the outside of the axle flange so you don't need to pull the axle. There is a screw holding the disc to the axle. I used a impact hammer and a #4 phillips bit. My rotor was stuck on the axle, I had to pry it off with two pry bars. Are you changing the front rotors too?

Willie

Old 10-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Mark,
You don't have floating rear axles, so don't work.
How many miles on your truck, what brand of pads and rotors are you planning on installing.
Remember to use lots of sound deadening material and do a full brake flush when you are done.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is sound deadening material? Like anti-squeel stuff?

Old 10-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Willie 00D2

The rotors are on the outside of the axle flange so you don't need to pull the axle. There is a screw holding the disc to the axle. I used a impact hammer and a #4 phillips bit. My rotor was stuck on the axle, I had to pry it off with two pry bars. Are you changing the front rotors too?
To avoid what happened to Willie above... smear some copper grease on the hub before you fit the new disc to it, it won't rust to the hub and need prying off then

Cheers,

Old 10-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My Disco I has 133k mi. Front rotors are ok, but I plan to replace pads as they are low enough. I trust you guys know these vehicles well, but as I looked at the rear rotors, it didn't seem to me like they would just "pull" off w/o removing the outer cap (which I interpreted as being a cap like a floating rear end). The disc retaining bolts aresomewhat behind the cap.

As for the type/brand of pads, I didn't have a preference in mind. What do you suggest (and why)? Probably would have ended up with some raybestos semi-metalics or something like that. Also, I always clean the hub mounting surface with a file/brush and apply anti-sieze on the back-side of therotors, and put the dial indicator on to ensure they're true before bleeding. Roger that on runninglots of fluid through the system when bleeding.

So, what do you suggest for pads? Thanks for the help

Mark G

Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Mark,
On your first post you said you had a D2, which is different from a D1. If you still want info for removing the rear axle to replace the brake rotor give me a call and I'll try and walk you thru it.
303-862-7680
Colorado 7 am to 8 pm

Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Sorry, I totally screwed up. I meant Discovery I, not D II. That was a typo.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator

So have you figured out how to get into your brakes?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm actually in the parts acquisition stage right now. I was just wondering what special proceedures/materialsmight be required.My original thought was to order pads & rotors from a parts warehouse I generally deal with, but it looks like most people recommend pads other than the typical domestics.Are Raybestos pads pretty much guaranteed to squeal? What material were the original pads made of, ceramic or semi-metalic or other? Do the spring retaining clips come with most pads, or is it a dealer extra (I've got a cracked one)? Finally, I've got plenty of anti-squeal compound on hand.

Thanks much. I'd like to getparts ordered today or tomorrow for sure.

Mark G

Quick Reply: Help Replacing Rear Rotors