Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! (TC) keeps enaging

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Overlanding
Location: Maryland is homebase but we troam the globe in search of great views, good food, and new friends
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! (TC) keeps enaging

So I just replaced my upper and lower Ball joints(Oh what Fun) and now when I went on my first test drive as soon as in give the truck any throttle the TC light comes on the the truck makes a weird noise(could just be the TC working) and kinda stutters. So I didnt get to the end of my block and returned her to the driveway. ANYONE have any ideas on what I did wrong? When I re installed the front axles I gave them a gentle turn to make sure the opposite wheel went the opposite way.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:43 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

What was the condition of the road? If the TC kick in it usually sound like the abs pumping. It happens to me only when the road is wet, snow or uneven pavement when I accelerate abruptly.

The following users liked this post:
Rovingwild (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 07:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm way out on a limb here, but the wheel speed sensors are integral to the traction control, ABS and hill descent control systems (which are all variations on ABS). I don't recall precisely, but I believe you had to remove the wheel speed sensors to replace the ball joints. You may have not reinstalled one or both of them "correctly." Double check them.

I would expect that if one or both of the sensors was not installed correctly the result would be no ABS, not a hypersensitive TC response. But I may be wrong.

Rovingwild (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Overlanding
Location: Maryland is homebase but we troam the globe in search of great views, good food, and new friends

The road was dry , and flat. I am thinking that Mln is on the right path. I made sure to treat the Speed sensors like fragile eggs when I was taking them out and putting them back. I will double check them. Also was I supposed to disconnect the battery when I did the ball joints? Maybe the sensors where looking for the same position they had when I started the job? Stab in the dark

Old 03-26-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

If a wheel sensor isn’t seated properly yes the TC will go nuts, and it’s usually followed by a fault code stored in the SLABS module.

Rovingwild (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Overlanding

Best4x4, other than fully inserting and tightening the securing bolt is there something else I can do to ensure the sensor is seated properly?

Old 03-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Make sure it's wiring is routed properly, and none of the wiring is pinched. Also inspect the hole and make sure no debris is floating around in there. I've found bits & pieces of the o-rings used to seal it to the hub inside there before and it caused the same issues your having.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Overlanding

Yes I pulled the old O rings out and fitted new ones I will double check each hub again and test in between sides. I feel better now that you guys confirmed my own intuition. I will post my findings.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Have you checked the ABS system for codes?

Try blasting each reluctor ring via the sensor hole with a compressed air nozzle to clean it of any debris whilst rotating the same wheel. The TC works using the same wheel sensors as the ABS system.

Rovingwild (03-27-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Overlanding

Update, I was able to get the situation to improve by using compressed air but no the ABS/TC engages when starting from traffic light. Let off the throttle and then it acts normal and will accelerate as normal until you have to stop again. Also occasionally during turns. Unable to get codes cause I dont have anything to interface with SLABS. Do I just get new Hub bearings for both front?

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! (TC) keeps enaging