Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

here a rare find on this side of the pond

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
Default here a rare find on this side of the pond

Land Rover : Discovery Land Rover : Discovery | eBay

I have to say I like the land rover interior

Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I saw that earlier. I think it's a vin swap. In Canada they can import cars that are only 15 years old. In a previous listing they were saying it had been converted to the 300.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The VIN# report says it is a V8 gas engine, so it is either a VIN# swap or it was a swap over to the TDI.
$15,000 is way to much though, you can buy a nice used LR3 for that much.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Spike555
$15,000 is way to much though, you can buy a nice used LR3 for that much.

Which ones are the nice ones again?

Old 12-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If it was in good shape I'd sooner drop $15,000 on a '95 Disco 300Tdi than on an LR3.

For the OP, not sure if you're interested in buying it, but you would likely have a difficult time getting it in to the US, if you could at all.

There are a fair number of 300Tdi Discos in North America that started life as a petrol V8.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by antichrist

For the OP, not sure if you're interested in buying it, but you would likely have a difficult time getting it in to the US, if you could at all.
Can you say CAR DEALER LICENCE PLATE?

No registration required, no inspection, no emissions testing...slap the dealer plate on the back and away you go.

Get a small business licence, register your car dealer with the state, buy your dealer plate, you are good to go.
The cost will depend on your state.
You can also get a temp 6 month "normal" licence plate so that you can drive your non DOT import in the US, but you can only use that plate for a total of 6 months in a 12 month period.
And of course if it is 20 years old or more you can get a "Historical" or a "Classic" car licence plate, again no DOT or emission rules apply.*

*check local listings for your exact rules

Old 12-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

*check local listings for your exact rules
That's one nice thing about Arkansas. All I'd have to do is get it here, with something that looks like a title and I'd be set. They don't check anything here. Not in over 14 years have they had inspection, and it was a joke when they did.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

We dont have inspections either, at a stop light or when someone passes me on the highway looking in at the dash on 50% of the cars the CEL is on, it cracks me up.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Can you say CAR DEALER LICENCE PLATE?

No registration required, no inspection, no emissions testing...slap the dealer plate on the back and away you go.
That's not going to help you one bit with customs.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by antichrist
That's not going to help you one bit with customs.
You dont need help with customs, all they are going to do is inspect it for drugs, bugs, dirt, etc.
Then once it passes customs it is yours to do what you want with.
Sure the US Gov says you cannot register the vehicle because it will not meet US emissions, but that is where the dealer plate comes in.
You dont register each car, you register the dealer and every car that that plate is on is covered by that registration.
Customs does not give a rats *** what you import as long as it is not illegal, and cars are not illegal.
I see cars all the time being driven with the 6 month import plate, RHD Skylines, Mitsubishi compact vans, I've even seen a newer Peugeot.
And with that truck being in Canada, you can drive it across the border, declare nothing, maybe they inspect it maybe they dont.
Drive to your destination and then slap your dealer plate on it.
Or, if you live someplace that does not do emissions testing, and since the VIN# is for a V8, you just register as a V8.
The only problem is that no bank will loan $15k for a '95 Disco so a guy would need the $15k in cash.
And even then you would need to add a rider policy to the auto policy to cover it if it were stolen or totaled because the insurance co. will only give you book value.
So if I had $15k cash to buy a car I would not buy a converted to TDI DI, but thats just me.

Quick Reply: here a rare find on this side of the pond